How will I be affected if I give my aunt my bank account information to get her visa? 12 Answers as of October 28, 2011

My aunt is filing for her visa and needs me to help her with proving that I have a bank account and 3 years of filed income taxes. Will this affect me in any way to help her out?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
Not if everything goes smoothly. But it's always smart to get a second opinion.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/28/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I think that she is asking you to be a joint-sponsor in her application for a green card. Family does that for family. You are basically telling the federal government that your aunt is not going to become a public charge. That if some financial trouble befell her, you will step in to help and she will not be getting public moneys because you will support her. These types of favors are always being asked for within families. So look-up the requirements of the I-864 at and make-up your mind. I think it's OK. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/16/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
If you are going to sign as a joint sponsor, yes, you will be liable for any reimbursement sought by the Federal government for and qualifying means tested benefits your aunt may apply for.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 9/16/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
I assume you are being asked to act as a co-sponsor on her case. Were you asked to sign an I-864 affidavit of support or an I-134? If the former this is a contract between you and the Federal government and is in effect until your aunt becomes a USC or has 40 quarters (10 years) of social Security income. If she ever applies for government benefits and her primary sponsor does not have any assets then the government can come back to you to reimburse such funds. If you know your aunt well and don't believe she will be doing this then you should make the decision to help her accordingly.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/15/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
This will depend on the type of visa and any specific USCIS form. If you are filing an Affidavit of Support, then you are confirming that you will not let her become a burden on the government and will keep her above the poverty levels.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/15/2011
    Law Office of Christine Troy
    Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
    Yes it does. You are filing an affidavit of support, from your description. This means you are responsible for certain financial items- specifically state or federal means tested benefits, if your aunt uses them.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/14/2011
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
    No it will not affect you. If you do not want your aunt to have your financial information, you may send the affidavit of support (form I-134) directly to the US consulate that she will apply.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 9/14/2011
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
    Generally, the National Visa Center or the Consular post will routinely require that an Affidavit of Support be submitted with the application for a visa or request for lawful permanent residency. This request can include a request for tax returns and proof of employment or assets. Be careful if a non attorney is assisting your family member with the process, since non authorized form fillers have been known to commit fraud.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/14/2011
    Law Offices of Peter Y. Qiu
    Law Offices of Peter Y. Qiu | Peter Y. Qiu
    If you are considering doing what you mentioned in connection with I-864, you should consult a lawyer (1) to determine whether doing so is helpful for your aunt and (2) to ensure your understanding of your obligations and consequences for sponsoring your aunt.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 9/14/2011
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
    Although not clear from your question, it sounds like you have been asked to serve as a joint sponsor for your aunt's immigration application. To do so, in addition to providing documentary evidence of your earnings, you would need to sign an Affidavit of Support, by which you essentially would safeguard the government from having to pay needs-based benefits to your aunt after she were to become a Lawful Permanent Resident. The obligation can last a long time - often for 10 years or until the beneficiary may become a U.S. citizen. It is important for you to learn the details about that obligation in order to make an informed decision about helping in that way.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/14/2011
    Joseph Law Firm
    Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
    If the document to which you are referring is the affidavit of support, then, yes, it can effect you. The I-864 is a legally binding document which allows the government to recoup any means-tested federal benefits which your aunt receives from the person who signed the document. That means that if, for any reason, your aunt ever takes federal public benefits, the government could require you to pay the government back for the benefits. The affidavit of support obligation survives death and divorce and lasts until she gets her citizenship or until you or she dies. It has also been used in some courts to enforce alimony requirements. You should definitely consult with an attorney about your obligations under the affidavit of support. We would be happy to discuss the matter in further detail with you. Please contact our office to schedule an appointment with one of our attorneys. We look forward to assisting you.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 9/14/2011
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    You will likely be filing an affidavit of support. This means you agree to support her for the next ten years if she cannot support herself. This usually becomes an issue if someone receives government benefits as the provider can sue you to recover the amounts.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/14/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney