How will I be affected by a pending felony? 1 Answers as of May 06, 2011

If I have a pending felony that will go away due to use of my accelerated rehabilitation, will it affect my chances if getting into graduate school? As in will they look into the case online and reject me? I just want to know if I have to wait a year for it to be removed from my record or not.

Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law
Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law | Kevin Smith
The background checks being done by employers and schools are becoming more and more thorough, and they would likely check to see if you have any pending cases. Depending upon the stage of your case and whether or not you have been granted the Accelerated Rehabilitation program, the only publicly available information on the Judicial Branch website would be that you have a pending case; however, the nature of the charges should not be available once you have been granted the program.

Of course, you may also be questioned by the institution to which you apply about any convictions or arrests. As to convictions, you can certainly say no, and once you successfully complete the program you can even say that you have never been arrested (at least as it pertains to this incident). But you should also know that the police department may maintain an arrest record that it will keep on file unless you send a request to have those records erased once you successfully complete A/R and the case is dismissed.