How will a Florida prostitution charge affect my friend? 1 Answers as of February 03, 2011

A Friend of mine was arrested and charged with prostitution and will plead innocent. She tells me she was attending a party with another individual and was arrested with everyone else. I suppose it was part of a sting operation. She has never been arrested before and this charge is a first offense for her. She states she never engaged in any type of sexual act before the arrest, took any money, spoke or propositioned anyone in person or over the phone to solicit sex for payment. She states she was arrested immediately after entering the door of the apartment or home. She is quite upset and thinks she will be deported if convicted because she is in this country on a work visa. My question is what impact would a conviction have on her work visa status and would it impact her ability to travel? Finally, since this is a first offense and there appears to be no evidence linking her to soliciting, is there a good chance the charges will be dismissed? How are cases like this usually handled by judges in Florida? Wrong place, wrong time with the wrong people.

She will likely be picked up by ICE after her conviction is issued by judges. Nobody can say on behalf of the judge who has evidence in hand. Prostitution is moral turpitude crime and will get her in trouble with immigration. She should call a lawyer in preparation for upcoming charges with ICE.