How will filing for bankrutpcy affect my social security case? Why? 11 Answers as of August 31, 2015

I have a pending SSI application that has been pending for some time. I am now seriously considering filing for bankruptcy to discharge my mounting debt. Will my disability application be affected by my bankruptcy? Should I wait?

It should have no effect on either case.
That would be a no.
It should not affect your social security case at all. Social security is generally an exempt asset.
No filing bankruptcy won't affect your SSDI case but you should wait to file bankruptcy until you're approved for SSDI otherwise you'll keep adding debts after you file.
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
Filing a bankruptcy would have no bearing on your disability application. You would simply estimate the amount you might get and it would all be exempt from your creditors.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    If you are asking will you lose the claim the answer is no.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    Filing Bankruptcy has no impact on whether you are eligible for or will be approved for SSI.
    There will be no problems in the social security case. Go ahead and file for bankruptcy if you need to.
    Social security claims and benefits are completely protected from creditors in a bankruptcy case, so if you really need the benefits of bankruptcy, you could file now. However, many people in the situation you describe do not need bankruptcy but have talked themselves into believing that it will provide them with meaningful help. You will need a hands-on review from an ethical bankruptcy expert to obtain a sound opinion.
    David Andersen & Associates PC | Jeremy Shephard
    Your SSDI case shouldn't be affected by the filing of bankruptcy. Oftentimes, it's beneficial to file before receiving the funds.
    I don't know for sure, although I strongly suspect it cannot affect your SSI application, since the government is generally prohibited from discriminating against people who file bankruptcy if they are seeking any benefits. Consult lawyer who is skilled in SSI for a better answer.