How will a DUI affect my future? 37 Answers as of February 24, 2012

I was arrested for drunk driving. If convicted, how will this affect me going to grad school and traveling outside of the US?

First, before simply accepting that since you were arrested, that's the final outcome, consider defending yourself with the help of an experienced attorney. There are many problems with the DA gaining a conviction, so don't just give up and roll over for the prosecutor.

If you are convicted, however, you will be convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor, which can carry with it as much as a year in jail, 3 years on Probation and/or a $1000. fine and surcharges are additional. You license will also be revoked and you'll have to go through a drunk drivers course and lots more. So don't give up yet.

As for future endeavors, it will mean you have a criminal conviction which you will have to disclose to employers and schools if they ask. So don't give up without a fight. Good luck.
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
It would depend largely upon the specific details of your case and whether or not your ultimate conviction is for felony or misdemeanor DUI. This would be influenced by the factors of your defense strategy but as a general rule, if convicted of a felony, you will likely be required to report it on future job and school applications. That being said, there are a number of factors that can influence your ability to avoid conviction and/or have a conviction expunged from your record in the future. If you are seeking representation in this matter in the state of Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation to determine whether or not we would be able to help you.
You cannot usually travel to Canada with a DWI and it may prevent you from being hired by many companies. You should retain a good criminal attorney to get an Impaired and avoid the DWI misdemeanor conviction. Your insurance will likely increase dramatically, and you may not be able to get a visa in some countries.Colleges don't care that much about a DWI, and you can still be a lawyer or doctor, but not if it is a felony.Your next arrest within 10 years will be a felony if you get convicted of the DWI this time.Feel free to call anytime for a consultation.
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
If it was your first DUI and it was in Florida, you will be on probation for 12 months, that will prevent you from traveling outside the US. I really can't see how it would affect grad school if it was your first DUI. Everybody makes one mistake. If you received your DUI in the Tampa Bay area, and are in need of an attorney please contact me at the address listed in this response.
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
A DUI can have implications regarding your future for school and/or work. That is why it is of the highest importance to retain an attorney that can work for you to potentially have it removed or find a outcome that can help your future. It varies on a case by case basis so your question requires more information. Please call me at one of my numbers listed below so I can gather more information and provide a more specific and detailed response.
    Your Grad school has to decide how it will affect you in their program. I do not think a DUI will cause any difficulty in traveling abroad.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    Some grad schools have a character and fitness hearing. You may have to explain the conviction. However, if it is your first DWI in Missouri, that is a misdemeanor only. If you get SIS probation is does not count as a conviction. However if you get an SES probation (you have a back up jail sentence assigned) then it is a conviction. All that will make a difference. You should talk to an attorney about all of this.
    This should not affect your admission into grad school, and I doubt that it will have any effect on your effort to travel abroad, however, if you are convicted of it, your driving privileges will be taken away, and you will have a criminal record, as this is a criminal offense, as well as a traffic offense. There is a court disposition called supervision here in Illinois, which can prevent this arrest from being considered a conviction. For further information, call me at (708)443-1200. You, in any case, need an attorney to represent you, as jail is possible.
    I doubt it will have any affect on schooling. Travel is probably only affected if you are not a US citizen.
    This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, I would need further details regarding the charge and to know if you get convicted- what are you convicted of ( conviction can be for a different charge than the one originally charged- example lesser degree of same crime ) . Without knowing the details I can not answer you regarding the consequences. You should hire an attorney.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    No effect on grad school, but perhaps an effect on employment after that.It should have no effect on overseas travel.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    Some countries like Canada will bar foreign visitors who have been convicted of DUIs. You would need to check with the appropriate countries that you would want to travel to to see what restrictions they would have upon your entry. You would also need to check with the applicable graduate program for any issues related to a DUI conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Hello, DUI can have a major impact on your life if you are convicted. As far as travel outside of the US the only know restriction is to Canada and you are looking at being barred for up to 10 years. Happy to speak with you more about this.
    Any conviction cannot help job prospects. The conviction if it occurs should be expunged at the earliest opportunity. It should not affect grad school applications or traveling outside the US.
    It is difficult to predict the impact of a criminal conviction. For instance, while you did not mention it, clearly a DUI conviction could impact your auto insurance rate, as well as driving privileges. Therefore, I recommend you retain an experienced criminal attorney to help you. Good luck!
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    It may impact your application to grad school but that depends on the particular school. Since it is so competitive, you might lose a spot versus someone without a conviction. It should not impact your ability to travel.
    Mercado & Hartung
    Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
    A DUI conviction has serious mandatory consequences. If convicted, you are subject at a minimum to 1 day in jail, $866.00 fine, 90 day license suspension, 5 years of probation, SR-22 insurance for 3 years, alcohol evaluation, ADIS class, DUI Victims Impact Panel, 1 year of an ignition interlock device. Additionally, some employers (specifically jobs that require you to drive) will not hire you, and you would also be barred entry into Canada (as of now no other countries restrict your entry) These consequences can be significantly lessened if your charge is amended to a non-DUI charge. An experienced DUI attorney can review your case with you and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your case as well as the potential for an amendment. It is worth your time to at least set up a consultation with one. Best of Luck.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    If convicted, you will probably be placed on probation. A standard condition of probation is not to leave the state without permission. However, courts and probation officers usually allow people to leave the state if they are in compliance with probation. One caveat, some countries consider DUII convictions to be more serious than the United States seems to consider them and you may have some problems entering some countries with a DUII conviction. You may be eligible for the Diversion program which is a program for first time offenders and allows for a dismissal of charges if you finish a treatment program and stay out of trouble. It would be a good idea to consult a lawyer.
    Canada will not accept convicted drunk drivers into the country without prior permission.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    There are travel restrictions into Canada (for 5 years or so) if you are convicted of a DUI. It could keep you from getting a job as a driver. It will increase your insurance rates probably. Some employers care about DUIs. I have not seen grad schools care about DUIs.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    It really shouldn't affect your going to grad school but it may affect your entry into certain countries for example Canada where a DUI is considered a felony.
    Not affect travel outside US. Grad school might see it if they do criminal misd. check. Are you under 21? If yes, apply for youthful offender.
    Law Office of Daniel J. Larin
    Law Office of Daniel J. Larin | Daniel Larin
    A conviction for drunk driving may keep you out of many foreign countries. Canada for instance will block you for at least 5 years unless you go to court in Canada to get a special clearance. Most grad schools do not care about an isolated DUI, however, in a competitive market, a DUI could be the tipping point to keep you from being accepted. Medical schools usually do not accept students with a DUI at least at the higher tier schools. Most people do not think about the long term implications of a conviction. It is for this reason that I always tell people that they must hire a "good" attorney. Not just one who is going to hold you hand while you plead guilty but one that will look at your case with the desire to try to prevent a conviction. A cheap lawyer or a public defender cannot spend the time to be an effective advocate. This does not mean that an expensive lawyer is better some just take your money and tell you they did everything they could and tell you you have to plead guilty. Do your research and find a lawyer who will take the time to thoroughly review your case and try to get an acquittal. Your future depends on it.
    It really depends on what type of career you aspire to. A DUI shouldn't affect your international travels nor do I think it would weigh very heavily on college admission unless maybe it's a religious institution with strict guidelines for admittance. You can wait five years and have it expunged as long as nothing else is on your record. If you plan on getting a job driving a truck or a CDL then it could cause some problems or if your license is suspended or restricted. It shouldn't affect your future that much. Many people have misdemeanors and DUIs and marijuana offenses on their record which cause them very little problems other than the legal costs they have to endure.
    M. Reid Legal Solutions, L.L.C.
    M. Reid Legal Solutions, L.L.C. | Michael Reid
    Seriously. The true cost is in excess of$ 20k not to mention insurance and loss of college Stacy aid and your family will be impacted as well. This is not just a traffic ticket.
    No problem with grad school unless you are going to Temperance University. If you get formal probation you will have to get the consent of the Probation Officer to leave the country. If informal or court probation, you are free to go once you have completed DUI school and paid your fines, etc.
    As a misdemeanor (an assumption), it will not affect your ability to travel. However, it is a criminal record, so it will show up in any record checks for school, employment...etc. Consider hiring a DUI specialist to help you. Remember, just because you are arrested for DUI doesn't mean you have to have a conviction. The notion that if you get a DUI there is nothing you can do but plead guilty is ridiculous and is the #1 myth I hear from potential clients.
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
    It depends on your immigration status. It may also effect financial aid eligibility amongst other issues.
    If convicted, records are forever, and it counts as a prior for 10 years to enhance penalties if arrested again, you face potential jail, fines, license suspension, alcohol treatment school, probation, increased insurance costs, damage to employability, etc, etc.

Unless probation specifically bars travel, no real effect, except there are countries like Canada and others that bar entry for DUI and other criminal convictions.

Schools and licensing agencies will determine on case by case basis whether to bar you from entry or licensing.
    A DUI can affect your future in many ways - most immediately it can affect your driving privileges and your insurance. Most importantly, if convicted you will have a misdemeanor on your record. If any grad school or travel application asks, you are legally obligated to disclose this fact. You should speak to an attorney who is experienced in DUIs right away.
    A DUI will not affect you going to graduate school, or traveling outside of the country. However, a DUI will impact your future in a number of different ways. To know all of the ways, I would have to sit down with you and understand what it is you want to accomplish. You may graduate from graduate school and be passed over for employment because a DUI shows lack of judgment. If you go to law school, the DUI may prevent you from becoming an attorney. Same for medical school. It may keep you from getting a small business loan. A DUI will impact your future. Therefore, my first suggestion is always challenge the DUI, by hiring an experienced attorney, and see if you can resolve it in a manner that does not involve a DUI conviction. I would be glad to help. Good luck.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    An experienced attorney can explain the consequences of any charge and resultant conviction. For some people, just a charge will adversely affect them, for others the conviction will have an impact, still for others they will largely be unaffected. Citizenship, security clearance, age, job, career, education, future desires, and a multitude of other factors need to be explored with your attorney. The best way to tackle the charge and to try to avoid the conviction is to hire an experienced attorney right away.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
    The short answer is that as far as grad school and international travel go, it should not affect you too much. If you are convicted of DUII, then you will have to receive a court's permission for international travel. Certain graduate schools may have their own policies about admission - you would have to check with the specific school. However, you have not yet been convicted. It may be that you are eligible for Diversion, a program which would remove the DUII from your record. It may be that the police did something wrong during their stop and the subsequent investigation. It may be that you have a strong case and are likely to succeed at trial. All of these things need to be analyzed by an attorney. I would be happy to sit down with you for a free consult and discuss your options. Best of luck.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    I don't know about grad school. It may make it harder to get into some countries; Canada sometimes refuses entry to people with DUII convictions. You should consult with a lawyer about entering diversion or fighting the charges.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney