How will a DUI affect my automobile insurance? 52 Answers as of February 22, 2012

I was recently charged of a DUI and my insurance company told me that I should expect some increases in payment. I want to know what my rights are concerning this issue and if there is anything I can to do lower the costs.

I imagine the spike in your rates will depend on what you are ultimately convicted of and how many points end up on your license. Retain an experienced DUI attorney to help get you the best deal possible. Your insurance company should be able to tell you what to expect in terms of premiums being raised once you know what you are convicted of.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
How will a DUI affect my automobile insurance? Drastic increase I want to know what my rights are concerning this issue None is anything I can to do lower the costs. No
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
The insurers have the rights to charge you more because you now have an OUI conviction on your record. That's the free-market; they can set their prices within the administrative context of the insurance business in this state. Insurers look at a litany of different factors when evaluating a potential client; however, they do generally charge a person more money if they have prior convictions for traffic offenses. You have your rights as a consumer to shop around for the best deal. With the internet, it's easy to get quotes. Shopping around may help reduce your costs because insurers, like any other business, compete for clients.
Law Office of Sara Sencer McArdle
Law Office of Sara Sencer McArdle | Sara Sencer McArdle
There are Insurance points assessed for a DUI. Some companies will drop you. Others will increase your rates. Speak with your insurance agent.
You should see if the insurance company has any courses you can take to reduce rates.
    DUI convictions will most likely increase the rates you pay for being insured. You may be able to negotiate or change insurance companies to lower those rates.
    If you are convicted of the offense, certainly you can expect an increase in your premiums. if you receive supervision on the case, you may not get an increase in premium. if you win the case, there will be no increase, but if convicted, besides losing your license, you will probably need to get financial responsibility insurace, which generally is expensive. In any case, it is best if you hire a competant attorney to defend you in court.
    Ask your agent.
    You only option is to search around for an insurance company that offers a better rate. I hope that this was helpful.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Your rates will go up. Insurance companies have the right to increase rates if the risk goes up.; The amount of the increase depends on the company. It may pay to check with other companies to compare.
    You have a right to buy from who every you want to so shop around.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C. | Wayne Brucar
    Your insurance is free to increase your rates or drop you as an insured as a result of your driving record. You are free to shop for other insurance but it is not likely that you will find lower rates under the circumstances. Please understand that answering this doesn't create an attorney/client relationship between us, and as hard as I try to answer your question well, it isn't legal advice. No matter how much information you put into a question, the answers you are going to get are still going to be vague. It is in your interest to contact a lawyer, most of whom will do a free consultation. Even 15 minutes with a lawyer is going to produce a more specific answer to your problem.
    Boske Law Offices
    Boske Law Offices | Michael A Boske
    It will make it go up.
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson | Christopher L. Jackson
    Your premium will likely increase. My clients have called around to other insurance companies to compare rates and sometimes found a lower rate. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    August 10, 2011 Your automobile insurance rates are almost sure to increase. There is no way for me to know how much. Your insurance agent should provide you with that information.
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
    Truthfully, no. They will go up a great deal.
    Upon conviction, many insurance companies will cancel your insurance and force you to purchase insurance through the high risk pool. In the pool, an insurance company will offer you insurance but at a substantially increased premium. About the only thing you can do is shop various companies for a lower rate.
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
    You need to contact various insurance companies and compare prices. Your insurance rates will likely go up. If you are not yet convicted, try to beat the case!
    Smith & John
    Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
    It could cause your insurance company to cancel your policy or raise your rates substantially.
    Your insurance could double if you get a DWI. There is nothing you can do if the case is over, but if it is still pending you should retain an experienced DWI attorney. He may be able to get it down to an Impaired violation which is not a criminal record, but your insurance may still increase. My fee is about $1,500 and I have 27 years experience handling DWI cases. You may be able to get into drug court and if you complete it the charges may be dismissed. That may prevent your insurance from increasing. John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363
    Based on your age, your insurance will at least double. If you are too young, you might even be dropped. One way to lower your cost is to insure the minimum: only liability. Another way is to hire a DUI specialist to fight for you so that you don't have a DUI, but something less.
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
    You should hire an attorney to get the best results possible. A DUI conviction will require high-risk insurance (SR-22) for 3 years.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    If convicted your rates will certainly go up by three to four fold if you are not cancelled. Insurance companies can use the conviction against you with increased rates for 3-5 years. Obviously how you resolve the case could be critical in reducing your insurance rate.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    Short of calling around to different insurance companies to find the lowest rate, no. After time, your rates will eventually go back down.
    The insurance company can raise your rates because you are more of a risk. What you can do is to have no more tickets and stop drinking, if you want the rates to go back down.
    Law Office of Nixon Ayemi | Nixon Ayeni
    Insurance premium are usually based on the underwriter policy you have, if you have been charged with a DUI you become a high risk because insurance company betting that most people charged with DUI are bond to repeat they will charge you based on your risk level.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    It will go up.
    Your rates are likely to go up for three years. Shop around, of course. You might have to lower your coverage amounts to compensate for the additional cost associated with your conviction, that is, if you are convicted. Try not to be convicted. You might be able to plead to a lesser charge. Seek a free initial consultation with an experienced, knowledgeable, local lawyer who appears in Court for you personally and who has handled a lot of DUI cases. I said a local lawyer, who appears in court for you himself, or herself.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You would need to talk with your insurance agent. You don't really have any particular rights, but your insurance will go up because a DWI conviction demonstrates that you are potentially a hazard on the road.
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
    Every insurance company will be different but expect you premium to increase at least 50% for at least three years in Washington and for the premium to still be higher for up to five years. The best way to mitigate the costs is to get a reduced charge and an attorney can really help in this area. Also, a deferred prosecution is an option that would prevent the DUI going on your record. Again, an attorney can best advise you of your options based on your needs and the strength of the case against you.
    Law Offices of James A Bates
    Law Offices of James A Bates | James A Bates
    The increased cost of insurance is usually the most expensive part of a DUI. Being charged with the crime should not affect your rates. Being convicted of it will. See a lawyer to determine if the case is one you can fight. The prosecution can't win them all.
    Premiums will go way up, if you can even get insurance. That will depend upon your prior driving record. You also face license suspension that will impact your insurance. Your rights are to pay the premiums they ask, if you want insurance. Call around to compare rates. Of course you can fight the DUI charges. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence, facts and sympathies are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be. Keep in mind a little free advice: When arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking the defendant is given documents that include a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV appeal hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony.
    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers
    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers | Andrew D. Myers
    The answer to your question is only part of the story. The direct answer is that if your license is suspended for DWI in NH, you will not be able to obtain reinstatement of the license until you get an SR-22 from your insurance agent. This has an upfront cost and you will be required to file an SR-22 for the next 7 years. The premium for the SR-22 depends on your actuarials, and this can only be calculated by your insurance agent. Again, this answer to your question is only part of the overall picture. Do not allow the ALS appeal period - generally 30 days after the stop - to elapse without obtaining a consultation with an attorney to go over the big picture.
    Shane Law Office
    Shane Law Office | Robert J. Shane
    If you can, stay with the same insurance company. Hopefully, the company won't check your record and find the DWI. When you switch insurance companies, that's when they will find out about the DWI and your rates go up.
    There' s nothing you can do except get quotes from other insurers. But, your rates shouldn't be affected until you are convicted. There is, after all, a presumption of innocence.
    It could be substantial. The court and the Department of Licensing may require you to get high risk insurance. This is commonly referred to as "SR22 insurance". The premium for such insurance can be as mush as 150% more than your current premiums. The amount may depend upon who your insurance carrier is and what they may charge for such coverage.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    If you are convicted you will pay more for insurance and be obligated to get an SR 22. The cost for the DWI is significant, over 5 yrs expect at least $10,000. The best way to reduce or eliminate cost is to win your case.
    Usually insurance companies will drop you from coverage and you will be forced to buy insurance from a pool. If you have a long term relationship with your agent, that may help. The costs will surely go up significantly because of the risk to the insurer.
    You can get only liability insurance but your rates will increase due to a DUI.
    Law Office of Jamie Balagia
    Law Office of Jamie Balagia | Will Mitchell
    One of the many collateral consequences to a DWI conviction is the spike in insurance rates for the forseeable future. How much differs between auto insurance companies but keep in mind that you must maintain SR-22 insurance for 3 years following your conviction in addition to your liability coverage.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    Your rates will most likely go up and you have very little recourse.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    It is important to avoid a DUI conviction or administratige suspension of your license. Either one will trigger high risk insurance and require SR22 filing.
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
    I would say you have no rights when it comes to your insurance raising rates because of a DUII. Most companies will raise rates and some will even drop you from the insurance plan. Look at your policy to be certain, but, just as a speeding ticket can raise your rate, so too can a DUII or other driving crime.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    It will go up drastically.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    Of course your insurance will go up. The insurance company is taking a risk insuring motorists to begin with, if you add a DUI to the mix, they will be increasing your premiums. There is nothing you can do except avoid getting DUIs.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    Certain companies specialize in DUI insurance you should try them.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    If you remain with your current insurance company you are looking at up to a $3,000.00 increase! An SR-22 is a separate insurance policy that prevents this from happening.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    A DUI conviction would be a risk factor that could certainly increase your rates. There are some companies that specialize in providing insurance to drivers with DUI convictions, so you may have to shop around.
    Russman Law
    Russman Law | Ryan Russman
    If you are convicted of a dwi you will be required to carry sr 22 insurance for a period of 3 years. The only way to avoid paying higher insurance would be to hire a lawyer and be found not guilty of the dwi.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    A dui is a significant event in your driving history which relates to the risk of providing car insurance coverage. It is a legitimate basis for increasing car insurance premiums. How much they can be increased is something to raise with the New Jersey Department Of Insurance. Before you plead guilty to dui you should consult with an attorney experience in dui cases.
    In most cases, your insurance will be cancelled and you will be offered "risk" insurance which can double and even triple the premiums in some instance.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney