How will a child abandonment warrant affect child custody? 3 Answers as of August 18, 2011

I am an unwed mother of a 7 month old baby. The father of my child has not signed the birth certificate and has not legitimized the child. He served time in prison for killing his two month old son. I was not made aware of this until my 8th month in my pregnancy. I have allowed him to see our child only on supervised visits, and this offends him so he threatens me to go to court for joint custody which I am afraid of for the child's safety because he has a bad temper and because of what has done to be sent to prison previously. He has gone 30 days without any financial support or contact. If I were to take out a child abandonment warrant out on him how could the warrant affect his request if he were to ask for unsupervised visitation or joint custody? And would his previous prison charge also affect his request?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
Why are you letting him see the child at all? He has NO custodial rights or visitation rights unless he first legitimizes the child and then seeks them.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/18/2011
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
If he is arrested for abandonment, this could show that he really does not have an interest in the child and you could bring it up in a visitation case, but that in and of itself will probably not make much of a difference. His previous conviction and what it was for would probably have a great impact on the case. You need to discuss the details with a family law attorney in order to get an assessment of your case.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: