How will being unemployed affect my adjustment of status interview? 6 Answers as of January 19, 2011

I am collecting unemployment and me and my wife are going for adjustment of status interview. I am a citizen and I got unemployed last month and this month I started collecting unemployment and I don't have any one to sponsor us. What should I do at the interview, do I need to show them unemployment paper or whats gonna happen with adjustment of status interview? I mean will they deny petition or they will give us a green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
I assume when you submitted your application you included your most recent year's tax return and W-2. If you have a good history of employment and your 2009 tax return showed sufficient income it should not be an issue. I would go ahead and do all you can to get employed even if not in your ideal job. If your spouse is in a legal status and authorized to be employed and you have been together for six months or longer her income can count as well.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/19/2011
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
If you become unemployed before the adjustment of status interview, and this issue comes up at the adjustment interview, the USCIS adjudicating officer will ask you to find a joint sponsor before s/he can approve your wife's adjustment of status. You do not need to bring your unemployment paperwork as it is not relevant. I recommend gathering all of the necessary joint sponsor documentation before the interview. They are: (1) proof of status, (2) most recent Form 1040 tax return, (3) proof of income.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You will likely need a co-sponsor if neither you nor your wife (if she has a EAD) are working at the time of the adjustment of status interview. One exception is if you have sufficient assets to meet the affidavit of support requirements. Another exceptions is if you and your wife have been married for 10 years and you have contributed 40 quarters to SSA during that time. You should review the I-864 Instructions to see if you qualify for either exception. Otherwise, the USCIS may determine that your wife is likely to become a public charge since you cannot meeting the Affidavit of Support guidelines.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
It is possible that they will request proof of employment.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You must get a joint sponsor who earns enough to cover your wife. USCIS will not approve a greencard application without a proper sponsor and/or joint sponsor to ensure that the intending immigrant will not become a public charge.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/17/2011
    Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
    Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
    You appear confused, i.e., your wife is going for AOS and not you as you presumably sponsored her petition for lawful permanent residency and noone else would be necessary.
    Furthermore, the fact that you're now unemployed and are collecting unemployment should be irrelevant for the purpose of this interview.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 1/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: