How will an excessive speeding conviction in Hawaii affect my California drivers license? 4 Answers as of March 21, 2011

I am a CA resident and was cited for driving 30+ MPH over the speed limit in Hawaii on 10/10. On 3/3/11 I plead no contest to the charge, resulting in a misdemeanor on my record. I received 36 hours of community service, driver license suspended for 30 days absolute, mandatory traffic school, and a hefty fine. HI court ordered me to complete traffic school and community service in CA. As of 3/17/11 I have completed the requirements of HI court. Will completion of traffic school here in CA, although mandated by HI court, prevent any points from appearing on CA DMV? If not, will this be 2 points on my CA driving record? Is my CA driver license really suspended now in CA? Does HI court have the authority to suspend my driving privileges in CA? I understand that if I had ignored the ticket or failed to complete the court's requirements by 6/2/11, I could get my license suspended (because they would report that to CA DMV). My license was not taken nor have I received any notification from CA DMV stating my license is suspended. I went to CA DMV on 3/10/11, printed out copy of my driving record, and my license is reported as valid. Please advise.

The only sure way to know is to call the DMV. I do not know if California and Hawaii have reciprocity. It California you probably would have received an Infraction, not a misdemeanor, and you probably should have consulted a lawyer in Hawaii. One thing that is apparent is that you did not do Traffic School in lieu of a conviction. You did not say that you pled for the diversionary program of Traffic School, as in California for a speeding infraction. It does not appear, from the information that you provided, thatyour Traffic School wiped the conviction from your record, at all. A speeding ticket is usually one point in California. If the California DMV said that your license was valid, then I would advise you to let a sleeping dog lie, as it were. Just try to not amass any more points for a three years in California. By the way, you should definitely find out how to get a post-probation dismissal, aka "expungement" in Hawaii (whatever their equivalent is to a California Penal Code section 1203.4 Motion)'.
If the DMV here says you have a valid license I guess you have a valid license. It may well be suspended in Hawaii and you should check with them as well. I do not know why a speeding ticket is a misdemeanor in Hawaii and would only be 1 point here. To my knowledge it would not count against your California record in any event.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
Yes to all. You need to get permission from the HI judge to take traffic school in CA. You might be able to do this online. Check with HI court website. Your failure to complete traffic school will result in your license being suspended in HI and then CA.
It is on your record and accessible to CA, and probably counts for points. Any state suspending a license will result in all states suspending their license as well. The HI paperwork may take time to catch up to CA DMV, but likely will.