How to serve divorce papers? 4 Answers as of June 30, 2011

Who can serve the papers if my husband is just couch surfing with his friends and I don't know where he is living right now?

The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
Generally, any adult over the age of 18 can serve the papers. He would need to be located though. Eventually, if you undertake due diligence in locating him but still can't find him, the court could grant you permission to serve the matter by publication.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
If you cannot find your husband and are unable to personally serve him, you may request that the courts allow you to serve him via publication. Otherwise you can see if a mutual friend will serve him or if he will accept service from you.
Anybody over the age of 18 other than you, who can locate your husband, can serve him. If he is employed, he should be servable at his place of employment. You might have to hire a private investigator to try to find him to get him served. If he can't be located, you would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to do what is necessary to get your husband served by publication.
Any person over the age of 18 and not a party to the case can serve papers. If after due diligence you cannot locate your husband, then you can request an order to serve your husband via "publication."