How to protect a DBA name? 3 Answers as of July 15, 2015

In California, if I want to start a new business and plan to do it under the umbrella of an already existing LLC, how can I keep someone else from forming a California corp or LLC with the DBA name? Is trademarking the DBA name the best route?

Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
Since you are starting businesses and LLCs, you should really hire a business lawyer and consult with the lawyer on these and other issues. You should not consider trying to register a trademark, except with a lawyer doing it for you. Every business needs a lawyer. Put a lawyer in your budget and include it in your funding.
Entertainment Law Partners
Entertainment Law Partners | Tifanie Jodeh
I'd suggest trademarking the logo associated with the DBA.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
Obtaining a registered trademark is generally your best option. A business licence just grants you the ability to operate a business under the DBA. The business licensing department does not perform a search to ensure that the name is used by other and also does not ensure that you are not infringing on a registered mark from another company. You should probably perform your own initial search at the trademark office. http://www.uspto.gov/trademark When you search you should know that the trademark office considers the marks "you are great" and "URGR8" to be the same mark.