How to get my license back after a DUI? 4 Answers as of February 23, 2012

I got a DUI in Aug 2010 and I was sentenced with supervision, 10 hours of DUI risk education classes and to attend a VIP. I completed the VIP and now I’m working on the 10 hrs. My question is do I have to wait until I complete everything before I can go to the secretary of state to get my license back or can I go now since my summary of suspension has expired?

Brucar & Yetter, P.C.
Brucar & Yetter, P.C. | Wayne Brucar
If you pay your reinstatement fee, you will get your driving privileges back at the end of your suspension. It is not dependent on completing the other conditions of your sentence.
You must pay a reinstatement fee to the Secretary of State, so that the statutory summary suspension is terminated, you are suspended until the S of S reinstates your license. I imagine that your license, physically is in the possession of the Clerk of Court, I would check with them AFTER you get a letter/other proof that you are legal to drive, and request return of the plastic. It can be that the Clerk will hold the plastic until all fines and costs in the case are paid in full. Some judges will return the plastic even though you still owe the fines and costs, but you may have to file a motion with the clerk to appear in front of the judge to request the return of the plastic license.
Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
If the period of Summary Suspension has passed then you need to pay your reinstatement fee and your license should be valid. You will not be valid until you pay this fee.
The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
Pay your suspension reinstatement fee and (so long as you don't have any stops on your license) your license will be valid. After this is done, speak to the Clerk of the Circuit Court about getting your license.