How to find a good bankruptcy attorney? 28 Answers as of July 22, 2011

What should I look for in finding a highly qualified bankruptcy attorney as there as so many?

Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
NACBA membership is indicative. Also the percentage of practice that is bankruptcy. This field requires 70+% of concentration to stay on top of things. You do not want someone who does one or two a year.
Tucker Legal Clinic
Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
Look for experience, someone who has filed more than 100 Chapter 7s / 50 Chapter 13s. Ask them.
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
There are many attorneys who are working in bankruptcy currently since there is such a huge need for it right now. You can research the state bar website profiles to determine how long they have been practicing and if there are any complaints or records of discipline against the attorney. You may also want to check out their business on the better business bureau or see if there are reviews or comments from satisfied or disgruntled clients. Fancy sophisticated websites aren't always a good indicator of a reputable business, as many clients tend to think, so do your homework. I would also make sure that when looking for an attorney that you can meet with that attorney face to face for the initial consult with the firm.
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
If you don't know anyone who has used a good bankruptcy attorney in the past, you might start with a search over the membership of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C. | J. Thomas Black
If you are in Texas, to find a good bankruptcy attorney, I suggest you go search for an attorney. Attorneys who are Board Certified have been "vetted." They spend a large part of their practice (if not all) practicing in that area of law. They have had to demonstrate that they have a great deal of experience practicing in that area of law, for at least 5 years. They have also taken and passed a difficult examination over that area of law. And they have been recommended to be Board Certified by at least two lawyers and a judge.
    Go for consultations with three attorneys in your area and ask each attorney about his/her experience with bankrutpcy and fees. You should choose a qualified attorney with whom you can communicate and think you can deal with..... Hiring a lawyer is like hiring a partner so you must be able to trust and get along with the lawyer well, including being able to communicate with the attorney so that you understand what the attorney expects from you and the attorney must understand what you expect from him/her.
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    You might ask for a referral. Often it is important to have a good relationship with the attorney. You might have meetings with several to see if they seem to fit your needs.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    you can try law.com or martindale.com On 7/13/2011 6:28 PM, Question From LawQA wrote: > ANSWER A QUESTION THAT WILL BE DISPLAYED ON CALIFORNIA BANKRUPTCY > WEBSITES ON THE LAWQA NETWORK. > > LAW AREA: BANKRUPTCY > STATE: CALIFORNIA > ID:25133 > > Question: How to find a good bankruptcy attorney? > Question Detail: What should I look for in finding a highly qualified > bankruptcy attorney as there as so many? > > *********************************** > To answer this question, please just reply to this email. The original > content and subject should not be modified, otherwise your answer will > not be valid. GARY LANE Attorney at Law President Consumer Protection Assistance Coalition, Inc. (DE) A Not For Profit Legal Clinic 24 Spyrock
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Make free consult appts with several attorneys and make your choice.
    The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm
    The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm | Thomas A McAvity
    I think that the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys website would be a great way to find a few candidates. I would also check to see how long the attorney has been practicing bankruptcy law.
    First, how long have they been doing it? Shockingly, some new ones charge outrageous fees, so price is no indicator. Get one who files chapter 13s and 7s. One who only files chapter 7 cases is lacking an understanding all of your options.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    That is a really good question. I would look for someone who is experienced, whose primary practice is bankruptcy and I would ask people I know who have filed how they liked their attorney. You can also check with the Local Bar Association or Chapter 13 trustee and see who they might recommend. Usually they will give you 3-4 names to chose from.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Start with honesty and ethics.
    Make sure you get a written retainer agreement that fully explains the services to be rendered. Make sure your attorney is licensed in your State. Make sure he or she is associated with professional bankruptcy groups that enable them to keep abreast of current topics, changes and important nuances. Ask questions, such as: * How long have they been practicing bankruptcy law? (I've been practicing exclusively bankruptcy law since 1991). * Do they handle exclusively bankruptcy cases, or do they dilute their practice by handling other areas? * Are they well thought of by their peers? You can check neutral, independent evaluation sites to see if they have a peer review rating such as *martindale.com* or *avvo.com* . * Is the attorney recognized as an expert in the field? Check on sites such as *allexperts.com* and *avvo.com* . to see if the attorney is sought out to give advice/opinions. * I would bet a lot that the people complaining about their present or past attorneys chose the least expensive attorney they could find, perhaps thinking that all attorneys are the same, or that bankruptcy is simple and there isn't much to it. Looking for the lowest price could spell disaster. * Is the attorney sought out by the *media* to speak on issues of bankruptcy law? * *
    First, there are not "so many" highly qualified attorneys in bankruptcy. The best way is to base it on referrals or what former clients have to say. See if they are rated by services like AVVO and have any ratings by former clients. I would also ask how many Chapter 7 cases they have filed in the past two years, and if they do Chapter 13 cases, what percentage of the cases they have filed have resulted in confirmed Chapter 13 plans - this gives you an idea how good and experienced they are if the percentage is high.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    Talk to a couple attorneys - or a few. Find one you feel comfortable with. Find someone who can explain the process in a way that you will understand and who will answer your questions.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    Find someone accessible who can explain everything to you with ease and clarity. S
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    When looking for an attorney, you want someone you know is going to devote sufficient attention to you case (avoid the "bankruptcy mills") and one who practices bankruptcy regularly. If you don't have a good "gut" feeling after meeting with the person, you should move on.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
    Ask an attorney you trust that doesn't practice bankruptcy law for a recommendation.
    Law Office of Chirnese L. Liverpool
    Law Office of Chirnese L. Liverpool | Chirnese Liverpool
    Many people may not know how to find a great bankruptcy attorney. Do you ask your friends? Yes, if you have a friend that has filed for bankruptcy, ask them - who did they use, how was their experience? how much does the attorney charge? etc. BUT WHAT IF YOU DONT KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY (highly unlikely - given the current economic situation) You must turn to other sources - such as the internet. Use the internet, to find an attorney close to your home or work. Some Los Angeles Bankruptcy attorneys will offer free consultations, give you experienced service, and ask you to fill out an evaluation form to ensure that you are qualified to file. Clients should not rush for choosing an attorney. Consider an attorney, who makes you relaxed and is understanding about your problems. This is already a stressful situation, you dont need the attorney to stress you any further. :)Try to find out if the attorney is organized, prompt and will work well together with you. Last but not least, you should also make sure that matters about fees and payment are settled. This is generally done by signing a retainer agreement with the attorney. The client should honestly explain his or her situation to the attorney and try to measure if they are comfortable with the attorney and their staff. At the same time our Los Angeles Bankruptcy attorney will give you feedback on your situation and if there are any other better optionsbesides filing bankruptcy. When talking with the attorney, find out how long he or she has been in practice, what the particulars of their specialization are, roughly how many cases they have handled and what your outlook should be from the attorney in terms of representation.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Go to nada.com and find one there. Be comfortable with him/her. Ensure your questions are answered. Who'll do the work? Will you ever talk to the attorney after the 1st meeting? Are fees clear? Are you treated wih respect? Price alone is the least important factor.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    The best thing to do is talk to other attorneys or people in your community. Going for the attorney who advertises the most may not be your best option.
    I suggest that you avoid everyone with a full page yellow pages ad, and stay away from large volume filers where you will get no personal attention. Look for a lawyer who returns calls and look for one that insists you do a great deal of legwork to assemble information before you visit. I use a nearly 20 page worksheet and am amazed that some lawyers attempt to file with way too little information.