How to file for chapter 7? 20 Answers as of August 24, 2011

Is there a minimum amount of debt I need to file this? I know I will be leaving the country for several years so I figured I might as well file a chapter 7 so I don't have to pay my credit card debts.

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You need to pass the means test.
There is no minimum amount.
While there is not a minimum amount, not everyone qualifies. You need to talk to a lawyer to see if you do.
There is no minimum debt for any bankruptcy chapter.
Bankruptcy Law Center
Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
Applies to Bankruptcy in Colorado only: There is no limit on the minimum amount of debt in a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Chapter 7 Bankruptcy will be on your credit report for 10 years. So the question you should ask yourself is "Is it worth having a bankruptcy on my credit report for 10 years to get ride of $?"
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    See a lawyer to file - the law is complicated.
    Florio Law Firm, PLLC
    Florio Law Firm, PLLC | Amber Morgan Florio, Attorney at Law
    There is no minimum amount of debt required to file a bankruptcy. However, there is a maximum amount of debt that can be discharged through a personal Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    No. You can file on any amount of debt.
    There is no minimum amount of debt required to file bankruptcy. However, a decision to file should be seriously considered. For one thing, a bankruptcy stays on your credit report for a long time-ten years.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    No minimum debt required. Show debts, assets, income, expenses, and other financials. Do consumer counseling. Go to 341 meeting. Have lawyer represent you.
    Financial Relief Law Center
    Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
    There is no minimum amount of debt required to file for a chapter 7 That may be a viable solution to your issue, however, you may also consider letting the statute of limitations run. Generally in CA the statute of limitations on an open ended account is 4 years from the date you last paid them. Most credit cards are considered to be open ended accounts. In such a case, if you know when the date you last paid each account, then you may be able to assert this once the statute of limitations has expired.
    Law Offices of Daniel Moulton
    Law Offices of Daniel Moulton | Daniel Moulton
    There is no minimum amount required, but you must decide if it is in your best interest to file a bankruptcy if you are discharging a small amount, such as something less than $5,000.00. The adverse effects of filing bankruptcy may not make filing worthwhile.
    Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
    Ryan Legal Services, Inc. | Kevin Ryan
    There is no "minimum" debt for Chapter 7. However, a Chapter 7 case is essentially a liquidation case and an attorney would need to analyze your situation to make sure all or almost all of your money and property would be protected when you would file the case.
    Lake Forest Bankruptcy
    Lake Forest Bankruptcy | Anerio V. Altman, Esq.
    No. There is no minimum amount of debt required to file. It doesn't make sense if it is a small or inconsequential debt, but no minimum is required.
    Law Office of Bobby Yaghoubian
    Law Office of Bobby Yaghoubian | Bobby Yaghoubian
    There is no minimum debt per se that you need to have to be able to qualify to file for bankruptcy. There are several factors such as your income, expenses, debts, and family size that need to be taken into consideration before determining what the right solution for you is.
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    Whether or not you can file Chapter 7 depends on your income, not on your debt. You need to discuss your situation with a bankruptcy attorney.
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    You have to see if you qualify for a chapter 7. THere are required hearings and other things that must be done prior to filing. You should talk with a bankruptcy lawyer to see if you qualify.
    Benson Law Firm
    Benson Law Firm | David Benson
    There is no minimum debt level, but I don't usually recommend Chapter 7 bankruptcy to folks with less than $8,000 in unsecured debt.
    Theodore N. Stapleton, PC
    Theodore N. Stapleton, PC | Theodore N. Stapleton
    There is no minimum debt amount it is a personal decision based on many factors, such as you can only get a chapter 7 discharge once every eight years.