How to dismiss a divorce case? 8 Answers as of June 23, 2013

I filed for a divorce and have decided I do not want one. What is the process to dismiss the case? What forms are needed? How do I find these forms? Are these forms free?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck
Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck | Jill K. Whitbeck
It depends on what stage your case is in. If the case has not yet been served on the other person, or if the other person has not yet filed any legal paperwork, you can do a simple notice of dismissal. There is no cost and the case is closed. If the other person has filed any legal papers, you must have either their agreement to dismiss the case or a court order. If they will agree, you do a stipulation and order to dismiss. If they don't agree, you bring a motion to dismiss. Note that if the other person wants a divorce now that you have filed, it is out of your hands, and a motion to dismiss will be a waste of time.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/22/2013
Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
Talk to the court clerk at the divorce desk at the courthouse you filed your divorce. The court should have a standard dismissal form for you to have, fill out and file.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 6/22/2013
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Google "SCAO forms" Once you get into the SCAO forms there is an internal search. Search for "Dismissal" or MC09 If you have not served your spouse or he has not answered. Fill it out online and print it. It's free. Sign and file with the court (take multiple copies) If you have served your spouse and they have answered you have to get his signature to dismiss the case.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/22/2013
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
There is a form available for free
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/21/2013
Catchick Law, PC
Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
Assuming you have already served your spouse with the Complaint for Divorce, you need to draft and file with the Court a document known as a "Stipulated Order for Dismissal without Prejudice," that is signed by you and your spouse (I am also assuming no lawyers are involved at this point). You might be able to find an acceptable version on the State of Michigan's "SCAO forms" page.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/21/2013
    GordenLaw, LLC
    GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
    You can file a Motion to Dismiss or, if you do nothing to keep the case moving, the Court will issue an Order to Show Cause for Want of Prosecution and will dismiss by a date certain. This is generally after case is inactive for 6 months.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/21/2013
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You need to file a dismissal without prejudice. It is possible that the court clerk may have a form that you can use.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: