How to apply for child support in Michigan? 4 Answers as of April 25, 2013

I am seeking child support from my son's father. He already pays child support for another son from a previous relationship. Will that affect my child support case? We are living together now as roommates but I'm moving out in a few months. Should I wait until I move to file my child support case?

Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto
Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto | Jeffery L. Fanto
Support orders are generally not issued if the parties are living in the same home unless public assistance is being received. You should make an appointment with the County Friend of the Court to review your options. In Wayne County this process is a bit more difficult but can be done. Given the time frame you mentioned, now would probably be a good time to start the process. If he is court ordered to pay support for a previously born child, that will affect the amount of money payable by him to you for support of your child.
Mark A. Manning, PC. | Mark A. Manning
What you would have is known as a Family Support Action in Michigan. You can file it when you are no longer living together. This action should be filed by DHS if you are receiving public assistance or you should obtain an attorney to assist you.
You will have to bring a court action, and usually there is no support while the parties, especially unmarried, are residing together.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Paying child support on another child does not affect your case. You can get the forms and possible help at your friend of court office. Apply now, for you will be moved generally before case is heard.