How soon after I become a US citizen can I petition for my husband? 3 Answers as of April 01, 2011

I am a permanent resident for 5 years. How soon after I become a US citizen can I petition for my husband? He is already in the US.

You can file his petition the day you become a U.S. Citizen and are given your Naturalization Certificate. If he is eligible for adjustment of status, the petition and his adjustment of status application can be filed at the same time.
You are eligible to petition for them even as a green card holder. However, whether he can obtain green card depends on how he came to US. If he came illegally, you may have a problem. Good luck!
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
You can petition for him now. You can also file for your naturalization now. As soon as you become a US citizen, your spouse moves off the waiting list and is eligible for adjustment of status. Caution: If your husband is not lawfully present in the US, hire a lawyer to help you.