How soon after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy can I buy a house? 20 Answers as of June 10, 2011

I’m debating on filing for bankruptcy and need to find an attorney who can help. I will be giving up my house because I cannot make anymore payments on it and am wondering if I’ll ever be able to purchase another house? If so, how long do I have to wait?

You will need to wait until you have sufficient income to afford the payments on the home. There is not set schedule for when you can apply for a home loan, it will depend on the Lender and underwriting requirements.
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
Yes, I've had clients buy a house within 2 years of filing. However, I believe that has now increased to 3 years. To do that you'll need to maintain a stellar credit rating, have cash in the bank and a reliable job. Bankruptcy remains on your record for 10 years but does not eliminate the possibility of obtaining debt for that full time. That being said, I don't recommend applying for any credit for at least 2 years.
Gresham Family & Bankruptcy Law
Gresham Family & Bankruptcy Law | Lillian Suelzle Watson
Based on my understanding of your question about how long it will be after bankruptcy before you can buy a house is a difficult question. Buying a home is based on your credit history, so it is reasonable to assume that immediately after bankruptcy it will be difficult or impossible to obtain a new home loan. However, a home loan is determined by various factors. One factor would be how much you put down on the purchase of a new home. If you only borrow 40% of the value of the home and have a down payment of 60% of the purchase price, a bank may make a loan sooner after bankruptcy then if you only have a 10% down payment. The various types of loan programs decide what credit rating you will need. Say a VA loan may look at a foreclosure differently than a FHA or a standard loan from a mortgage company. In the past, if you had re-established credit, you may been able to obtain a home loan after 3 to 5 years. Again, it depends on your job, your income and expenses and other factors. If the only debt you have is your mortgage, you may not want to file for bankruptcy. In Oregon if your home is taken back by the mortgage company they cannot sue you for left over debt after the sale of the home. If you have a second mortgage or other consumer debt, a bankruptcy may be appropriate. If you want to speak with our bankruptcy attorney, we will give you a free consultation to discuss what is appropriate in your circumstances.
When you can buy another one depends on your income and what you do after the bankruptcy. Buying a house will never be like was before this big crash. Credit requirement will be tighter and proving you have the ability to pay will be a big factor. If you are in a bind now, file the bankruptcy and get this behind you as soon as you can.
Steven D. Keist, Attorney at Law
Steven D. Keist, Attorney at Law | Steven D. Keist
There is no set answer. It depends on the lender and your income.
    Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
    A BK filling will have an adverse impact on your credit and hence, will be something a lender will consider before approving you for a mortgage. Generally, there's no definite time frame.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    Two years after the bankruptcy is discharged BUT three years after your current house is out of your name. Depending on your state and your mortgage company, it sometimes take a long time for them to foreclose after the bankruptcy. So think seriously before you move out of the house. Don't move too soon.
    Law Offices of Michael T. Krueger
    Law Offices of Michael T. Krueger | Michael Krueger
    Surrendering your home though bankruptcy is much better than letting your home go to foreclosure. Speaking to a trusted mortgage broker will be your best option for learning when you will be able to purchase a new home. Depending on the type of loan your are looking at, you can receive a loan as soon as 2 years from the discharge of your bankruptcy according to the mortgage broker I use.
    Lakelaw - Loop Bankruptcy
    Lakelaw - Loop Bankruptcy | David Leibowitz
    You can buy a house after bankruptcy when your credit allows for it. This has been as short as a year or two for people who re-establish credit quickly and have good income.
    Lenders require a bankruptcy discharge to happen before considering someone for buying a house. In reality it probably takes more than one year of paying your bills on time before you will be considered.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Can be as little as 2-3 years.
    You can expect to wait at least three (and most likely four) years after the house you now have is taken by foreclosure or you can sell it at the short sale or deed it back to the bank if the bank agrees. Your ability to buy a house in the future will be affected by both the bankruptcy and the foreclosure, short sale or deed in lieu of foreclosure to get rid of the house. Bankruptcy does not mean you will no longer own the house. It has to be taken back by the bank at a foreclosure sale or sold by your for less than the amount owed (short sale) with the bank's permission and that will take some time.
    Edward Papa, Esq.
    Edward Papa, Esq. | Edward Papa
    It is possible in some cases to buy another home 2 years after bankruptcy.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Typical turnaround time for financing a new mortgage after the bankruptcy discharge is two years.
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law | Daniel Hoarfrost
    You are eligible for conventional financing 2 years after filing a bankruptcy. The credit decision has more to do with whether you have steady income and an appropriate down payment.
    Currently, probably about 5 years if the house is foreclosed on and you show a record of good credit after filing.
    There is not specific answer. Your credit will initially probably preclude you getting a loan (absent a co-signer) but you can rebuild your credit over time such that you can eventually qualify for all types of loans. There is no specific time frame, but you can start rebuilding your credit almost immediately. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
    You can buy a new house at any time. If you are creative (owner finance, lease-purchase) you may find deals right after filing. Most traditional lenders will be more likely to approve you after about 2 years.
    You don't have to wait at all. The issue is whether or not someone will lend you money for a new home, and that depends on the individual lender, and what your job status is, as well as how you've rebuilt your credit post-bankruptcy.