How soon after the car accident do I have to call my insurance? 18 Answers as of October 11, 2012

I got into a car accident on Saturday and I don't want to call my insurance unless the other driver is going to try to get money from me because I dont want me insurance to go up. How long can I wait to call them?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
You will have review your policy and see if it states a time you need to call by in order for the policy to honor a claim. Most insurance companies will have to honor the claim is file as long the statute of limitation have not passed. Four year from the accident.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 10/11/2012
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Notify the insurance company promptly. It is not just about the other party; if you have any medical issues, you need to report the accident so that your auto insurance will pay for accident related medical treatment.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/11/2012
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
Your policy unquestionably has a provision that requires you to inform your insurance company right away of your involvement in an accident, and that doesn't mean two weeks later. Call your insurance company now.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 10/11/2012
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
Rather than call the compnay, you should discuss this with your insurance agent. Your insurance policy may answer this question. Failure to report the matter could allow the company to deny coverage if it is reported at a later date.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/10/2012
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You should retain a lawyer to help you to file an accident report and it must be done within 10 days of the accident. Your lawyer will do an accident investigation and protect you as best as possible.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/9/2012
    Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
    Most policies require that you report and accident within 48 hours.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    It depends on what your policy says. Probably , they will have to provide coverage at any time you report it, even if the claim is filed a year from now. However, policies often say that you must report any potential claim within a reasonable time. Failure to timely report it could result in the insurer denying coverage. Thus, you may want to read your policy to determine your responsibilities.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    It's never a good idea to wait. If the other person doesn't make a claim, your insurance shouldn't go up. But the other driver has 3 years to make a claim. If he waits 2 years to make it; and then you finally tell your insurer your insurance company might deny you coverage because of the delay. I recommend you contact them now.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    Oregon law requires you to report an accident where either someone is injured or there is over $1500 in property damage to the DMV. There is no requirement that you report an accident to your insurance. Now if you get serviced with a lawsuit you might want to tell your insurance company so they can defend you.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    You are required to cooperate with your own company. I would suggest you call them. if there is no liability there is no harm no foul. If you are liable they will take care of it and you may pay increased premiums as a result. Your bigger problem is if you don't report it they may deny you coverage when you need it (your failure to cooperate and promptly report a potential claim they will contend is a breach of your contract.) You can run but you cant hide.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Ezim Law Firm | Dean Esposito
    If you do not want your insurance to go up, call your agent and discuss the matter before you decide to file a claim. If the accident was reported and the police executed an accident report, your insurance company will find out about it.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Richard E. Damon, PC | Richard E. Damon
    You'll have to look at your policy to see if there is a time limit on reporting a claim.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Read your policy. Generally you are expected to notify your insurance company as quickly as you know you have a claim.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
    You have a duty under your policy to immediately report your involvement in any accident. If you fail to give them timely notice of a claim, they could take the position that you breached the cooperation conditions of your insurance policy.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    Your insurance policy probably contains a provision to the effect that it should be notified without delay. If you breach the terms of your policy the company may deny coverage.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    Dunnings Law Firm
    Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
    If you do not notify your insurance company in a "timely" fashion, it will deny coverage later. This e-mail is covered under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2510-2521, and is legally privileged. The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/9/2012
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm | Spencer E. Farris
    Better to report it than to delay and have your insurance company deny coverage under the non cooperation clause of your policy. Read your policy- it tells you how long you have to report a claim, and failure to do so can leave you responsible for damages instead of insurance paying.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 10/9/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney