How should we fight a renting home owner who sued us blindly? 5 Answers as of November 14, 2013

2 years ago I rented an apartment along with my fiance. We were ensured it was safe for our (at the time) 3 year old son. A few months went by, the weather started cooling off and then came the ice, 3 foot icicles hanging off of out front egress. So we went for the second exit, which, we hadn't ever noticed was changed to a DEADBOLT. We spoke to them several times about this, with NO resolution. Then, as winter ended, spring came and so did the leaky roof from all of the ice. Soaking the floor and anything near it. As well as the kitchen sink, which, after a few months of use was caving in because it was never sealed, just placed, and leaking through the cabinet, the faucet on the bath tub was just lying over the copper pipe.. The last straw was when I had my son in the tub and as it filled with "water" about 1,000 ants came along with it. Which answered why our water ALWAYS smelled like rot. We thought it was the swamp in the back yard. We communicated several times, wrote letters along with rent checks. etc. after doing so with no avail so we called the local housing inspector. Who deemed the house inhabitable, stated he had this problem with this apartment before and they were not supposed to rent it out. We never received any rent receipts, no receipt of deposit being held. We left. We moved out stated we would be out by where we had paid to, and moved under the impression that it would be fine and they wouldn't sue because the housing inspector told us they had no license to rent. I recently checked my credit report because of a severe decline in my credit rating and found that last summer, one year after we lived on their premises, they sued us, we never had ONE paper saying they were bringing us to court, they had our forwarding address. They blindly sued us and manipulated us, I would have gone to court had I known and fought.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
Before you do anything, please talk to a smart attorney in your area. This is serious. These legal issues will affect you and your family for many years. You may cause great harm to yourself and your children, and may lose a lot of money, if you do the wrong thing.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 11/14/2013
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
You need to go back to the court that entered judgment and have the judgment vacated for lack of service and then litigate the issues.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/14/2013
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
You can write to the credit bureau reporting agencies and protest the black mark on your report. They will investigate and possibly agree with you.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 11/13/2013
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
First thing have the default vacated as quickly as possible. I would assert cross claims for various damages and a relocation allowance as allowed under the anti eviction act and for rent security act violations.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 11/13/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Get an attorney. If there is a judgment you will have to have it reversed or rescinded or your credit rating will continue to be affected. As that is being accomplished explain the entire situation to see if you have additional avenues for relief.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/13/2013
Click to View More Answers: