How should my friend adjust her status to stay in the United States? 4 Answers as of February 24, 2011

I have a relative who came to the US on a Tourist Visa. She passed the NCLEX Exams and is a Registered Nurse. How can she adjust status so she will be able to work and stay legally? Should she go for employment based petition or working visa? Which one is faster and safer and what are the advantages? What are her other option? Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Unfortunately nurses may only file an I-140 with the sponsorship of an employer and get in the queue for permanent residency (several year wait) . There is no temporary working permit for most nurses unless very experienced in management positions, critical care or other specialized nurses. Unless this would be a high level nursing position then a temporary work visa is most likely available (exceptions for nationals from certain countries).

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
This depends on a lot of factors, such as whether she has overstayed her visa, can she find a job as a nurse...Is he in a relationship with a citizen...etc, etc. You are welcome to contact us. Good luck!
Unless this person is a close relative, e.g. brother, sister, parent, etc., you cannot sponsor her family based petition. Employment based petition would appear the only way for her to go.
Unless your friend is in status and will be so for several years, employment sponsorship is not an option for her since there are no H visas available and the priority dates for employment petitions are backlogged several years.