How should I serve divorce papers to someone in a different county? 2 Answers as of June 21, 2011

I filed initial paperwork with the court for divorce. My ex lives in Las Vegas now. I found out that my mom can send the paperwork- but is it still acceptable for her to do it even though she lives in a different county than me?

You can hire a private process server in Las Vegas to personally serve your husband and provide you a Proof of Service for you to file with the Clerk of the Court. Your husband needn't respond to a Summons and Petition mailed to him with a Notice and Acknowledgment of Service by your mother - but he could. It doesn't matter that your mother lives in a different county. If additional documents need to be served on your husband, anybody other than you, over the age of 18 years old, can serve the papers by mail and provide you a Proof of Service to file with the Clerk of the Court.
Assuming you filed your divorce case in California, because you know where your husband resides, you must serve him personally, or serve him by "notice and acknowledgement." For the former, you can hire a professional process server. Typically, the bigger process server companies have offices in different states, and can have their local Las Vegas branch personally serve your husband. For service by "notice and acknowledgment," look up Form FL-117. The form is self explanatory. Or, call a local lawyer for help. Good luck!