How should I repay the taxes I owe the IRS? 4 Answers as of June 30, 2011

I need to pay my taxes. But I do not have the money as yet. Should I just pay a visit to the local IRS office and straighten this out? Get on some kind of payment plan. I had been out of work and needed all the money I could get when I got a job, so I took multiple exemptions on my pay, leaving me with a bill at the end of the year. I filed an extension and paid just a portion of the taxes I owed.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
It sounds like you have changed your mind and you do not want a divorce. I can take care of that for you, and it will not take much time. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/30/2011
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
It is good that you filed an extension to avoid the failure to file penalty. You have until October 15 to pay the balance due, even though there will be a penalty for failure to pay (unless you qualify for an exception for penalty-See Form 2210). You should use the time between now and October 15 to save as much as you can. Perhaps you may be able to reduce or eliminate the 2010 balance in this time frame. Short of this pay as much as you can with the October 15 return filing and continue to save as it will take the IRS some months to contact you about the balance due.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/26/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
You can request an installment agreement and pay over time. Usually 24 mos.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: