How should I plead to shoplifting in Alabama? 1 Answers as of June 27, 2011

I was charged a late fee at a local department store and out of anger, picked up a $52 watch. Extremely dumb on my part. I have no prior criminal record whatsoever. I've heard that as a first time offender I should receive no jail time, probation for a year, and some sort of education class (and if I continue a clean record this arrest will be dropped from my records). How do I need to plead to get this? Do I need to speak with the judge or prosecutor ahead of my court appearance to arrange this? What is the likelihood that I would receive even a short jail term?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
I would suggest that you plead not guilty and secure the services of an attorney. In the event you are convicted of shoplifting (TOP3d) it is a permanent record. Also, the fact that you may receive probation for a first time offense does not mean that you would not be exposed to having to serve a jail sentence in the event you committed any act that would revoke your probation.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: