How should I plead in my court appearance for misdemeanor marijuana possession? 8 Answers as of October 08, 2013

I was caught with marijuana in my college dorm. I am a freshman about to turn 19. I had no more than 2g and was completely cooperative with the officers that responded. I did not lie to them and gave them everything related to marijuana that I had. This is the first time that I have been in trouble with the law. Also, how could this charge effect me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
They will charge with possession. Instead of pleading guilty, see if there is a diversion program.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/8/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You should hire a lawyer and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By yourself you're going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/8/2013
Law Office of Russell A. Warren
Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
On any "Criminal" matter you should always plead "Not Guilty" and request a continuance from the court to speak to an attorney. An Attorney can represent you on this matter and work to avoid any jail time or conviction on your record for this matter.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 10/7/2013
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Ask for diversion.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 10/7/2013
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
This charge could affect your education, your ability to get loans for school, future jobs, and possibly even housing options. You should talk to your attorney about the best thing for you to do. If you don't have an attorney, you should get one as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 10/7/2013
Click to View More Answers: