How should I plead for a first time minor in possession of drug paraphernalia ticket? 2 Answers as of July 28, 2011

How should I plead for a first time minor in possession of drug paraphernalia ticket? Should I talk to the DA with my parents or higher a lawyer? My court date is set for my first day of college classes.

Law Office of Robert L Keates, PLLC
Law Office of Robert L Keates, PLLC | Robert Keates
The best bet would be to hire an attorney to appear for you, saving you from missing school, and trying to arrange a way to have the offense dismissed. That way you can save the charge from going on your record.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
You should hire a lawyer. At worst, you want to get a deferred prosecution or deferred dispostion which is like a probation which generally means that your case is reset for a time period (generally 6 months) and during that time you must do whatever the court requires like take a drug course, do community service, write a letter of apology, etc. At the end of the time period you return to court and the case is dismissed. You can later (2 years after the dismissal) file a lawsuit to expunge (clear) your record.