How should I keep my license from being suspended? 25 Answers as of June 13, 2013

I am 20 years old and have a provisional license. I have gotten three speeding tickets two of which I paid for and one of which I went to court for and got probation for. However, being on a provisional license, they want to suspend my license and I have a court date to appeal that. I need answers fast. I pay for my own school, car payments, car insurance, groceries, and phone bill and need my car to get from school to work as well as to my side jobs that help pay for everything.

Go to the DMV or Secretary of State's office, see a hearing officer, and apply for a hardship license. They may require you to take a driver improvement course before granting the restricted license. You can also go and motion the two tickets back into court, and see if you cannot vacate the conviction and get some kind of sentence that will not affect your license.
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
You may want to consider completing a Traffic Safety Program before your appeal is decided.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
Promise to drive the speed limit in the future and offer to give them some collateral to guarantee that.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
There is no guaranteed answer. Taking a defensive driving course can reduce your points by three but given your history and provisional status, they can still take it away.
A license to drive is not a right, it is a privilege. As such, the state can exercise their authority over your privilege to drive whenever they believe you have misused that privilege. They have the authority to suspend, revoke, or cancel any license they issue for reasons which are clearly set forth in the statutes. You should consult an attorney for legal advice as to how you may appeal the state's decision to suspend your license.
    It is too late! You knew the terms of your probation, but chose to violate them. You will need a friend to drive you around, take a bus or get a taxi.
    Your need for a license is irrelevant to DMV. Everyone needs their license. You have to convince DMV that suspension is not yet appropriate. DMV rules say that suspension occurs based upon a point system, with suspension ordered if you get 4 points in one year, 6 points in two years, or 8 points in three years. One point per ticket.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Retain counsel and beat the charges.
    Did you get an attorney for your appeal? If not why not? This question would involve sitting down and finding out about all of your driving record andthen seeing what could be done.
    You're not making sense. How can a speeding ticket lead to probation? You must have been charged with some kind of misdemeanor, like reckless driving.
    You must be from some state other than Alabama, as Alabama has no provisional driver's license. You should consult with an attorney.? If you have a hearing pending where your driver's license is on the line an attorney may be able to better negotiate you being allowed to retain your license. I also suggest that you look into and prepare to attend and complete some driver improvement and/or awareness courses. Thereafter, you should make every concerted effort to obey the traffic laws. The State is probably attempting to suspend your driving privileges because you are a danger to others as well as to yourself when you drive.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    At your MVA hearing you can explain why you need a restricted license for work or school. The hearing examiner might grant that to you, or might suspend your license.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    If you have too many points your license has to be suspended. You can request a probationary license to get to and from school, etc. But it is completely up to the hearing officer whether to give it to you.
    There is no way other than beating the ticket.
    The only way to prevent the suspension is to contest the tickets and reach an agreement to avoid them. If you paid the ticket, it may be too late.
    Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
    Hard to say with the limited info. Ask the licensing board for a restricted license of driving to from and in the course of school, work, healthcare and any other court ordered service plans.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You have gotten three tickets in a bunch. Motor vehicle wants to slow you down before you kill yourself or someone else. You are going to lose your license. Work on minimizing how long you are suspended. Get an experienced lawyer.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    The DMV will likely act. The best way to avoid loss is citing all mitigating reasons. Sadly when under 21 I think DMV will act.
    Young people do not make good decisions or consider the consequences of their actions before they do things like shoplift, speed, drink and drive, or get into fights. You got three speeding tickets in 18 months and DMV will suspend your license. It is easy to not get speeding tickets, just set your speed control. The DMV is telling you that you are dangerous and are about to kill or injure someone because you are intentionally ignoring the law. You can retain a criminal lawyer to investigate your situation, but he may not be able to appeal unless you served a notice within 30 days. Appeals are seldom effective. You should have retained a lawyer to handle the tickets. He would have avoided getting the points that have suspended your license. He would also have warned you that you would lose your license if you continued to ignore the speeding laws. Hopefully you will never violate a traffic law again. You must understand that the speeding laws are there so that you can stop and turn in time to avoid an accident.