How should I handle a situation where I am accused of workplace theft? 3 Answers as of August 15, 2011

I was questioned about a shirt that I wore to work. I work in a department store. In 2008 I told the manager it was a gift and I do not have the receipt. Fast forward and now I have been working there for 6 years. This year beginning in March my hours were reduced from 16 hrs to 4 hours every other week. When I asked why I was told that the store was not doing well, budget was cut. I saw that they hired three people and gave them raises. This is a p/t job. I decided to go back to school and left the job. I ran into a co worker and was told that I was accused of theft and that is why my hours were reduced and that they were trying to set me up. She wanted me to go to HR. Would this be a wise move?

I cannot advise you unless I knew if you were guilty of the theft that you were accused of. If you are an 'employee for hire" which most retail salespersons are, then you can be fired for no reason at all and have no legal right to seek compensation.
I would need further information to answer better. it would depend on whether you want to work there again, whether you want to try to file a lawsuit for possible wrongful termination etc.
Most employment in NY is "at will", meaning they can basically treat you any way they want as long as you are not a member of a protected class and discriminated against on that basis. Examples of protected classes are race, gender, over 40 years old, sexual orientation, religion, race, ethnicity, etc.