How should I go about getting legal guardianship over my 14 year old sister? 2 Answers as of July 24, 2013

My mother and father are both addicts who live/stay in a motel. My father doesn't have a stable job and neither does my mother. In the past year, my sister has lived with my 17 year old sister while she finished the school year there. Well my sister recently lost her house so I'm now having to take care of my baby sister. School's coming up and I need to be able to get quick custody or some type of guardianship over her. What would be the best way to go about this without getting CPS involved?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
If the mother and father will consent to a guardianship, it is really a matter of completing the paperwork and ensuring that all interested parties have notice. You would need to file a petition for guardianship in the Juvenile Court.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/24/2013
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You can only get legal guardianship if both parents agree. If they will not agree, you will need to meet with and consult with an attorney regarding filing a contested custody action against your parents.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: