How should I get my green card? 4 Answers as of September 19, 2010

I have three more years left on my H1B visa. My company will soon file for a green card for me. I am also getting married to a US citizen in about 6 months. Should I file for a green card through work or through my wife?

There are advantages to both options. If you file for a green card through your wife, you would be able to obtain provisional legal residency, which after two years will give you permanent residency, and then after three years eligibility for citizenship. However, there is greater scrutiny of your marriage, as the government will determine if there is evidence of fraud. If you are well-qualified and your employer has maintained their labor certification eligibility, they should have an easier time succeeding in getting their petition approved, and your application granted for your green card through them. Once received, it is yours, even if there is a break between you and your present employer. If you wish to discuss the issue with me, please call or e-mail, and I'll schedule a live or phone conversation with you and I.
Through marriage will be a much faster process, of course.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance with that matter.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You should file for the green card by marriage because it is often the fastest and trouble-free way to get a green card. It is also lower in costs with high approval rate. If you need help with that please contact my office.