How should I get my F1 immigratio status back after being out of status? 5 Answers as of July 19, 2011

I am (actually was!) a college student and got out of status (july '10) for not maintaining GPA of 3.0. So last august I transferred to an English teaching course. Mean while I had hired a attorney to get back to status. But its been a year I didn't heard nothing from her! I had I-20 till this last December but could not renew it later. Still my case is pending. Really confused and don't find any way out please if you could help me... what will be my next step for getting back to F1 status and finishing with my remaining studies ?? disparately in need of help !!

Since you already have an attorney, I will not be able to answer your question. Please contact your attorney for update/status.
You could try filing an F-1 nunc pro tunc - c
If you have a request in for reinstatement, you can follow up with the USCIS. The attorney can also file an inquiry through AILA. You have an attorney, you should meet with her to get an update on your case. If you are not satisfied, find another attorney.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
It sounds like your attorney filed an application for reinstatement of your student status. You need to find out about the status of the application. You should have received a Receipt Notice from the Immigration Service confirming the filing of the application. If you did not receive it, contact your attorney for the notice. If the application was already denied, it might be too late to request reconsideration. You can try to file a new application by demonstrating that you could not file it earlier because you did not know about the result of the first application. It will be difficult to get the Immigration Service to consider a new application because you are more than 5 months without status. You must demonstrate "exceptional circumstances" that prevented you from filing earlier in order to have the a new application considered.
You should make an appointment with a competent immigration attorney and bring a full copy of your file. Get a copy from your last attorney. Also you should visit that persons' office right away, to see what they have or have not actually done for you. It is very possible that you are out of status or in violation of status.