How should I file taxes if my husband is an illegal immigrant? 2 Answers as of February 06, 2011

Should I file my taxes as joint or separate with my unemployed, illegal husband? We are in the process of changing his status and I want to ensure I do this correctly. Thanks!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You can file separately and not be in violation of the law. You cannot take advantage of the favorable tax rules for married persons but you also won't draw attention to your husband's situation.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/6/2011
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II | Harry Gordon Oliver II
If he is a resident in the US (lives in the US) you may file married filing joint.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: