How should I file my taxes if my name on my W2 does not match the one on my social securty card? 4 Answers as of August 01, 2011

I got married, changed my name in 2010, but never changed it at work on my W2. I am currently doing my taxes, but my name on my W2 doesn't match my name on social security card. Am I going to have a problem filing?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
probably not
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/1/2011
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
If you changed your name with social security, then you should be OK with your tax filings. This is what the IRS matches up. To be ultraconservative, you could request your employer amend your Form w-2 to your married name. That would completely eliminate the problem.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/28/2011
The Schreiber Law Firm
The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
Should not as long as the Social Security number matches. The IRS may send you a letter to clarify why they are different, where you can explain the situation. You should get your employer to make the change for the future, and the IRS will be satisfied if it does send you a letter and you state in the response that the name has been changed with your employer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/28/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
The social security number is what counts not the name.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: