How should I deal with a rear-end accident and where to start? 25 Answers as of May 29, 2015

I was rear-ended by a bakery truck which the insurance is saying totaled my car (2008 Lexus). I am getting so much conflicting information, I am not sure what to do. Can you help?

Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
In Michigan your insurer pays to repair/replace your vehicle. If there are uncovered property damages, you can make a mini-tort claim against the truck's insurer (this only provides limited coverage). If you have a serious impairment of a body function and/or permanent serious disfigurement (or death) you can make a personal injury claim against the bakery which it's vehicle insurer should defend/pay. If you have wage loss, medical treatment expenses or the need for household help, you have your insurer pay these (by properly and timely filling out their forms, providing proof of loss). If you have more specific questions, it's time to have a consultation with a local lawyer that regularly handles these types of cases.
Make a claim, personally or through an attorney, to the insurance company of the car that hit you.
The truck's insurance co. will probably pay the car damage once the car is inspected. If you are injured, however, you should retain a lawyer.
First things first: consult an experienced personal injury lawyer in your vicinity. S/he can help you make your claim, and collect as much as possible. Most rear-enders are the fault of the car behind. Conflicting information about legal matters can be very frustrating. Let me suggest that you consider whether the information you are getting is from someone who knows what he or she is talking about. A lawyer who has handled a few hundred such cases can advise you with much more reliability than your neighbour or the lady on the stool next to yours at the bar. I suggest you simply ignore anything you have heard from a non-lawyer about these matters, and confide in a real lawyer whom you hire to represent your interests.
The law of damages in Alabama is that they owe you for the value of your car immediately before the accident. Do research on the internet on the value of your car and demand that you get it. Good luck.
    Ankerholz and Smith
    Ankerholz and Smith | Rian F. Ankerholz
    Consult an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area. Most will offer a free initial office conference to discuss your options with you. We are here to help.
    Utah Injury Lawyer
    Utah Injury Lawyer | Will Rodgers
    First, get an injury lawyer to represent you. As a profession, we injury lawyers handle all the stuff you are dealing with right now and far more. Second, getting an injury lawyer to represent you will relieve you of having to deal with things you do not fully understand and will result in getting you much more financial compensation for your injuries.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    You should contact a personal injury attorney to assist you. If you try to handle on your own, the insurance company will certainly take advantage of your inexperience. You can contact an attorney in your area or you may contact our office for advice.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You should reach out for information on the internet. My firm has created helpful information in an effort to help answer questions, other firms have done the same. Order the information and do not speak with the insurance company about your injuries, not until you know the full extent of the damages. You need to speak with a Georgia personal injury attorney promptly. Good luck.
    If you had insurance, your company should pay for the property damage; they might even waive the deductible because it was a rear-ender. Then your company will sue the other side to get its money back. Did you get hurt? If so, you might want to talk to a lawyer about pursuing your pain and suffering claim.
    If you were injured, get a lawyer. If you were not, let the insurance companies deal with it. Of course, get your insurance company involved ASAP if you have not already done so. They may end up paying you and then look to get their money back from the other insurance company, or you may get your car fixed by the other company directly, but get them both involved and let them figure it out.
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    If you were not injured, then you can get three bids to replace your vehicle. That will give you a range for settlement.
    Not with the limited information you have given. We have no idea if you have suffered any bodily injuries, whether the car can be repaired, whether they provided a replacement car until you settle or reasonably could have the car fixed, etc.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    My advice is to find a good personal injury lawyer to represent you in your claim. If you try to settle the case without a lawyer, you will not receive fair value for your case. Remember the statute of limitations in Wisconsin is three years from the date of the accident.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Discuss with your automobile insurance carrier and hire an attorney to address any remaining issue. You will get nowhere on the internet divulging so little information.
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    You may want to research fair market value of the Lexus if total loss. Also if you have injuries hire a lawyer to handle all the issues.
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC | Gregory S Shurman
    I can definitely help you through this situation.
    Yes, that is what attorneys do.
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    You should contact an injury lawyer.
    Lloyd H. Thomas III P.C. | Lloyd H. Thomas III
    Of course I, or any other competent personal injury attorney licensed in Georgia, can help you. Just reach out to an attorney. We won't bite you. (We will charge you a fee for our services though.)
    Jules D'Alessandro | Jules D'Alessandro
    I can and want to help you. Accidents with commercial vehicles are more difficult than the usual motor vehicle accident. Commercial vehicles generally have much higher policy limits and therefore the insurance company will fight much harder. Your vehicle being totalled makes this a very serious accident. You need an attorney to handle this case for you. Please feel free to contact for me directly.
    If you were injured, you should talk to a car accident attorney as soon as possible.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C. | Tanya Gendelman, Esq.
    You need to hire a lawyer who handles car accident cases. If it's property damage only, you should be able to handle it by yourself, but if you have personal injuries, you Should hire a personal injury attorney right away.
    Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
    Contact the person's insurance company. Tell them to pay you the value of you vehicle and medical expenses.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should have counsel to properly help you build your case and deal with the insurance company to maximize your claims value.