How should I deal with my car accident settlement and repayment of Medicare? 8 Answers as of August 19, 2015

I recently came to a settlement in a personal injury case (no-fault car accident). My Medicare benefits paid 2 out of my 3 medical bills related to the claim. I know that I have to pay the 3rd bill in full but I don't know what needs to be paid out of the settlement with regards to the other 2 bills. Do I repay Medicare for the amount that they paid to the doctors (80% of their approved amount) or do I have to notify Medicare and pay the doctors’ bills in full (what would have been due without Medicare minus the 20% Medicare approved amount I already paid)? There are no Medicare liens (as far as I know and I think I would know if there were). I just don't want to jeopardize my future benefits by handling this wrong.

Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
Consult your attorney.
Boesen Law, LLC
Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
Compliments on your being so responsible! I recommend that you check cms.gov - site for Centers for Medicare Services - and look into coordination of benefits. It's interesting that you haven't heard anything from the government yet, but you are doing the right thing, and may even be able to compromise the bills.
Get with Medicare subrogation and they will tell you what you owe them. The medical providers can tell you the balance they are owed. If it's too much for you, consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer. They can deal with all of that for you.
Medicare has a lien by law. You will probably have to repay whatever amount they paid. (If you had a lawyer they would discount for the 1/3 fee.)
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Medicare is statutory and you cannot escape it. Have your attorney or someone knowing this area deal with it.
    You should consult an attorney. Medicare liens can be a mess.
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    Call Medicaid and ask, they usually send my law firm a bill.
    If this is a Michigan no fault case, the medical payments come in the 1st party claim; the pain and suffering claim (3rd party) is totally separate. Most insurance companies will not release money to the victim without being satisfied that Medicaid and Medicare liens are paid, because they could be on the hook for the additional money. You did not indicated whether the money you got is for the 1st party or the 3rd party case. Don't you have a lawyer? The lawyer should be taking care of this for you.