How should I choose a patent lawyer? 7 Answers as of April 13, 2015

How should I choose a patent lawyer?

Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
I believe that in picking a patent attorney, you (speaking of "you" generally, not you specifically, since I don't know "you" specifically) should pick someone that you believe can understand your technology, who will listen to you and take you seriously, who you feel that you can trust, who is within a suitable price range for your situation, and who can introduce you to others who you may need help from.
Gerald R. Black, Esq.
Gerald R. Black, Esq. | Gerald R. Black
Research the potential number of candidates, their backgrounds and experience, honing the number down to a handful or less. Patent Law is highly technical, so you need to learn as much as you can about what needs to be done. This can be done by online searching and talking with the candidates by phone to determine their level of expertise and their availability. Determine from each candidate what they anticipate the costs to be for the first 18 months. Meet with the top two or three to determine your comfort level. Oftentimes, a free initial consultation is available and you should not reveal your invention until you have made your final selection. Hopefully, this general outline is useful and Good Luck!
DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
The technique you used was to contact me. Seems you got it just exactly right. :-) Let me know how I can help.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
Chose a patents attorney based on experience and your comfort level when interacting with the lawyer. The attorney should have an understanding of your invention and should be able to assist you in making a good disclosure. If you are not comfortable with the attorney - walk (run) away and seek another attorney. Various bar associations can assist you in your search. Mass bar, Boston patent law assoc, Boston bar, etc. Good luck with your search.
Do your research. There aren't a lot of patent lawyers and they're mostly located in larger cities. Finding one who has experience with your type of invention is also important. An attorney who works on mechanical devices probably isn't going to be much help on a biochemical invention. Finally, ask others who have successfully obtained patents who they worked with and if they would recommend that person.
    Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
    Assuming this question is in relation to obtaining (prosecuting) a patent, there is no set answer. Here are my suggestions based on my own experience first as an inventor, and more recently as a patent attorney: 1. Chose the attorney who will be doing the work for you, rather than a law firm. 2. If the invention is in a technical field, I would choose an attorney who has previous personal experience as a technical worker, manager, or individual contributor in that general area. For example, look at educational background and employment experience on the attorney's resume. Publications. Project experience. Advanced degree in math/science/engineering etc. 3. Next, consider the attorney's legal and patent experience. I would favor an attorney who has at least 3-4 years experience in patent prosecution. 4. You could ask the prospective attorney for references, then contact one or two of those references. Contact a reference for whom the attorney has drafted/prosecuted patents.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Based on quality and whether he or she is someone you can trust.