How should I begin the patent process to patent my idea? 4 Answers as of August 07, 2015

I need to patent my idea and I do not even know where to begin. Can you please help?

Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
Start with consulting with a few patent attorneys. Many will hold initial discussions for free.
Do your research read the information on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office web site (uspto.gov). Your local library or book store should also have information on obtaining a patent. If there is an entity in your area that supports entrepreneurs, talk to them. And if you know of someone who has obtained a patent, ask him/her about the process. Once you've got the basics down and know whether you have an idea that can be patented, contact a registered patent attorney.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
You can gain information about patenting your invention by visiting the US patent web site at www.USPTO.gov. You should be able to get some basic information. From this web site you can perform a search to see if your invention has been patented by others. You can buy or checkout (from the library) a book on patenting to gain additional information to prepare and file your own application. You can also schedule a consultation with a Patent Attorney or a Patent Agent to discuss your idea and determine your best option to proceed.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
First - keep the invention secret until a patent application is filed (provisional or regular utility). Do not sell or offer to sell the invention until a patent application is filed (provisional or regular utility). THESE STEPS ARE CRITICAL - US patent law now gives the patent to the first inventor to file - NOT - as in the past, to the first to invent. Visit the Patent Office website - www.uspto.gov - for useful information about the patent process. You should hire a registered patent attorney or patent agent to assist you with the preparation, filing and prosecution. The basic process is as follows: The application is prepared. It must teach how to make and use your invention - so that the public will have your knowledge when the patent expires. A patent search is advised - so you only claim what is new - not what is known already. A patent application usually includes the following parts: Background of the Invention Summary of the Invention Brief Description of the Drawings (if applicable to the invention) Detailed Description of the Invention Claims Abstract You can prepare a lot of this - which can save you money. Free "key word" searching is available at the Patent Office website. This should get you going.