How should I answer the police questionnaire regarding theft that happened from where I work? 11 Answers as of August 01, 2013

I work at a plant that had property stolen. The state police were called and they are investigating. Today all employees received a Questionnaire from the police with strange questions about the theft. My question is, do I legally have to fill out this questionnaire or can I refuse to fill it out and what might happen then?

You do not have to answer any questions, but I suspect it will mean your employer will can you.
You can refuse to fill out the questionnaire unless your attorney helps you fill it out. You have a right not to incriminate yourself.
ROBERT HAMBRICK Clearwater Criminal Defense Attorney
ROBERT HAMBRICK Clearwater Criminal Defense Attorney | ROBERT HAMBRICK
You don't have to do anything, but your employer may take action based on what you do or don't do as the employer clearly would want you to cooperate with the investigation. I would suggest answering but in as limited way as possible.
You can refuse to fill it out, but it will likely shine the spotlight on you. If you are an at will employee, it could mean your job.
If you think that there is any chance that you might be implicated, I would suggest that you consult an attorney in your area.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Ordinarily, your employer would have the right to require you to respond to these questions. But because this seems to be part of an investigation by law enforcement, you have the right to refuse to respond to these questions until you receive advice from legal counsel. Further, you may have the right to refuse to respond altogether based on your Fifth Amendment right against self incrimination. Now let's be practical here. If you did not steal property and had no knowledge or involvement in the theft of property, you probably should fully cooperate with your employer in this investigation. Indeed, you should hope that your employer catches the wrongdoers. While you may have the right to refuse to fill out the form, I seriously doubt if this would be a good idea.
    No way. Ever heard of the right to remain silent?
    While you don't have to answer the questionnaire, it may impact your work. I would never answer a questionnaire.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You are not obligated to provide information to the police. It is possible, however, that your refusal might cause problems with your employer.
    You do not have to respond. 1st Amend freedom of speech includes right not to speak. As to consequences, not willing to speculate whether you answer or not.
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    If you refuse to sign it, they will likely assume you are either guilty of the crime, or you are withholding info about the crime. I would strongly recommend you consult with a Criminal Defense Attorney in private to review the questionnaire before you decide whether or not to fill-it out.