How probably is it that I will go to jail after getting a battery charge if I live in Rhode Island? 2 Answers as of March 30, 2011

I am 20 and live in Providence. Last night, I was arrested by police for battery while visiting my sister. This was the first time I have ever been arrested for anything. Am I going to jail, or are there alternatives for me?

Law Office of Alton William Wiley, Jr.
Law Office of Alton William Wiley, Jr. | Alton William Wiley, Jr.
It is doubtful you will go to jail for a first offense battery unless the victim incurred serious injuries.   There are many factors involved in sentencing.  I would be glad to discuss them with you if you give me a call.
Law Office of Joseph Lamy
Law Office of Joseph Lamy | Joseph Lamy
Battery is a very serious crime with a potential prison sentence of ten years. It is impossible to tell you without more information if you will be able to avoid prison or not. If you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney he or she will begin working on your defense to try and weaken the States case. Then, with luck, the charges might be dropped or reduced which might result in probation instead of time served in prison. It may also depend on the severity of the injuries sustained by the victim. I would be happy to discuss this matter with you in greater detail. Good luck.