How much would it take to get help from a telecommunications expert to patent an idea? 12 Answers as of March 26, 2013

I have an idea that I want to patent. It is a mobile telecommunications idea. I would like help with writing the patent document from a telecommunications expert. What are the costs?

Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
This would depend upon how much the telecommunications expert would want to charge. You should probably contact a patent attorney or patent lawyer who has knowledge in telecommunications to prepare a patent application. Patent writing is somewhat different than preparing other documents, and a telecommunications expert may not have the knowledge to help with writing the patent document. To provide an answer, they may charge between $1,000 to $10,000.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
They vary depending on the complexity of the patent, but i would expect in the $5,000 range give or take $500 unless you use some of the big name firms where it could easily be in the $8000 to $12,000 range. Also the amount of work that has to be done after the patent application has been filed may be minimal of it maybe quite time consuming. Basically make an appointment and disclose the device to a patent attorney and try to get a fixed price.
Eminent IP, P.C.
Eminent IP, P.C. | Paul C. Oestreich
Assuming you are not a telecommunications expert, you need two types of expertise to prepare and file a telecommunications patent: (1) expertise in the telecommunications field sufficient to prepare a description of the invention that is complete and enabling in that one of ordinary skill in the art can understand and practice the invention with that description, and (2) expertise in patent drafting so that your patent application is complete and meets the requirements of the patent office rules and statutes. These two types of expertise can be found in a single person, if that person is a patent attorney with the right technical background. Generally, there is no need to hire a technical expert separate from hiring a patent attorney. So, I would recommend you shop around for a patent attorney with a background in electrical engineering and/or software with a professional background in telecommunications, or one that has prepared and filed a number of patents in the telecommunications field. That patent attorney will quote you a fee based in part on the level of complexity and number of embodiments of the invention that you want described in your patent application. We have that expertise at Eminent IP.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
With respect, this is an impossible question to answer without knowing the specifics regarding your idea, and the amount of work involved in developing it. Patent agents with technical skills in the field of telecommunications or computer technologies relevant to mobile applications may be able to guide you. Sometimes a patent attorney will charge a flat fee for preparing a patent application, but if you want high quality work (and you should), qualified patent agents and lawyers charge by the hours with fees ranging from $350 to $795. Realistically, you need a budget of at least $25,000 for something like that, and it would not surprise me if you needed six figures.
The price would be whatever you and the expert agree upon. However, a telecommunications expert may not know how to write a patent, respond to any problems the examiner finds in the application, or contest the denial of the patent. A registered patent attorney or agent will know all these things as well as how to write the patent. Patent attorneys in my area start around $5000.
    TechLaw LLP | Ross A. Epstein
    Assuming you mean a patent attorney with telecommunications experience and expertise, we normally end up charging in the range of $5000 to $15,000 in attorneys fees if it is a non-provisional filing and depending on the complexity. To narrow the range, we would need to know more about the invention.
    Webb IP Law Group
    Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
    Depends on the expert, but you are probably looking at about $150 - $350 per hour. Our firm knows a couple of people who might be a fit.
    Tran & Associates | Bao Tran
    I have written numerous telecom patents. The cost to prepare a utility patent application is $5000 or a provisional is $1000. Alternatively, if you want to do it yourself to save money. I would recommend the use of software from PowerPatent.com called ProvisionalBuilder. Software costs $99 so it i very inexpensive yet guides you to prepare a high quality patent application that one year later you can turn to a lawyer to convert into a utility application for you. A feature summary is at http://www.powerpatent.com/prwelcome THe software helps you organize information, and through your summary description, brings back sample patents in the same field for you to use as examples.
    Ochoa and Associates
    Ochoa and Associates | Susan Ochoa Spiering
    The costs vary per attorney and specialty, taking into account experience level and location. It is not unreasonable to be charged $10K+ for drafting and filing a patent application in the telecommunications area.
    Law Office of Mathew R. P. Perrone, Jr. | Mathew Roy Patrick Perrone, Jr.
    There is not enough information to provide an answer to this question. What is the device? How many parts does it have? What is a good assembly for it?
    Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
    Cost of assistance will vary based on the amount of work to be done - but you could easily spend up to $10,000 or more. Before you do that, visit the Patent Office website - www.uspto.gov - and search for patents related to your concept, using "key word" searching. That way, you will see how other inventors have presented their inventions to the Patent Office - and you can use these other patents as a guide to making your "rough draft" - which may save you money when completing the process.