How much would it cost for a lawyer to defend a petty theft charge? 2 Answers as of July 11, 2011

How much would it cost for a lawyer to defend a charge for stealing 15 dollars from Walmart? I'm 18 and it's my first thing I've ever done.

Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
I depends on how it is charged, and where it is charged. For example, if it is in a Municipal court, the going rate is about $500. If it is in Circuit Court ("big-boy court"), the going rate may be closer to $750. You can ask people for a break on the price. But I find that you get what you pay for. For example, an attorney may charge you $100 to enter his appearance in the case and have the prosecutor mail him a plea offer, but he won't do any actual negotiating for that price, and he may refuse to go to court for that price. Therefore, the deal he gets for you is take-it-or-leave-it, and you are expected to take care of the court appearance and payment of fines yourself without any further help. There may be other things that offices do for you that may be of even more help.
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
The amount of the attorney's fees will depend upon a variety of factors. Are you charged with violating a municipal code, a county code, or a state statute? Generally speaking, I may be able to offer my services on a municipal court case, or a county municipal court case for about $250.00. But, if the case is in state court it will take a lot more of my time to obtain the results that you need to obtain and so I would require at least $500.00 to take the case. Other attorneys may charge more or less than I do. But, I have handled hundreds of these cases in the thirty three years I have been practicing law.