How much will my drunk driving charge cost me? 47 Answers as of June 09, 2011

I am worried because I don't wanna pay the costs. How much total should I account for in fines?

LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
In my County Court fines and fees are running about $2400. Sometimes a portion of the fees can be credited via community service. Have your attorney review for you the options.
Berner Law Group, PLLC
Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
It depends on what kind of probation, your priors, etc. If you're a Western Washington resident, feel free to contact my office for a free, no obligation consultation regarding your situation.
Deal & Hooks, LLC
Deal & Hooks, LLC | Shawn P. Hooks
The fines for a DUI in Ohio on a first offense fall within a range of $375-$1075. Additionally, a person is typically made to pay court costs which costs several hundred dollars more. There may be a chance you would have to attend a three day driver's intervention program as well, which will cost an additional several hundred dollars. Finally, your license was most likely suspended and you will need to pay the reinstatement fee which is $450. This is without taking into consideration changes in your insurance, obtaining driving privileges, if your car was towed the tow fee, attorney's fees or other incidental costs you will accrue.
I would need further information such as is this a misdemeanor or felony charge, what was your BAC ( Blood Alcohol % ) , if you took a BAC test, what were the exact charges and do you have a criminal record and if so what is it, etc. Amount of fines can vary greatly depending on these and other factors. You should hire an attorney and disclose all details to him.
$600-$2100 for a first offense. You should hire counsel. Stay well.
    Plenty. Court fines and penalty assessments totaling in the thousands. License suspension. Alcohol programs. Probation. Insurance increases. Attorney fees. Criminal record. Employment problems. I've seen statistics indicating that it will end up costing you $7k-10k over the next ten years. There is a big difference between what you want, and what you'll get. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. I'll be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be. Keep in mind a little free advice: When you are arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking you were given documents that included a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Fines depend upon the charge. A first offense carries fines from $500 to $1000, second offenses are from $1000 to $2500, third from $1500 to $2500, forth and above usually $2500.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    In Oregon, where I work, a DUI carries a maximum possible sentence of $6,250.00. Most people don't get fines that high, but there is a minimum fine of $1,000 and the minimum fine is higher if the person's blood alcohol content is over .15. Plus the courts typically tack on a bunch of other assessments and fees for people convicted of DUI. I usually tell people convicted of their first DUI to expect to pay approximately $1500.00 in fines and court costs, but that's not including treatment classes and assessments which are mandatory and costs associated with the DMV if the person wants a hardship permit. Fortunately judges do have the discretion to waive or suspend some of the fines and assessments if the convicted person has financial constraints.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    For first offense DUI in Louisiana you are facing fines of $300-$1000 (plus court costs) and 10 days to 6 months in jail. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Around 2,000.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    Fines: about $1200 Probation: about $75 a month for 24 months Alcohol evaluation: about $200 Relicensing: depends, but new insurance will be expensive Legal fees: I charge $2500, but some DUI lawyers charge much more. DUI's are expensive.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    The potential fine on a first offense DUI is at least $600, and court costs are another $7 to $800. On a DWAI the minimum fine is $200.
    Fines and costs are only part of the monetary penalty that you will face. Without knowing what court the charges are in, it is impossible to determine what the average fines and costs would be. However, in addition to fines and costs, to be eligible to get your driver's license back, the Secretary of State will assess a driver's responsibility fee each year for 3 years. In addition, it is likely that your insurance company will cancel your insurance forcing you to purchase insurance from the high risk pool. By the time all financial penalties are totaled, you could see amount in the $6,000 range.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A. | Cynthia J.Vermeulen
    There are several different types of DWI//DUI charges, or "drunk driving" as you described. The type of charge you are facing depends on your individual case, the state in which you live and the state and local laws that are in effect. In Minnesota, there are 4 levels or degrees of DWI/DUI charges; these charges vary from a misdemeanor (up to 90 days in jail and/or a $1000 fine) to a gross misdemeanor (up to 1 year in jail and/or a $3000 fine) to a felony (prison sentence). Minnesota also has an Underage Drinking and Driving offense, as well as other criminal charges when an accident has occurred which caused injuries or death. You should check with an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area for advice and answers on your case.
    There are no set fees for attorneys and there are different fines for different charges, so it's impossible to give you a precise answer. You can assume it will cost well over a thousand dollars in fines in most cases. It would be better to pay an attorney to represent you so the fines may be lighter and the final conviction, if any, is less than the top count. Consult with an experienced attorney right away. Good luck.
    Law Office of Michael Moody
    Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
    You will pay no more than $1,000 plus surcharges if it is a 1st DUI.
    In Cook county, a first time offender is usually looking at costs alone over $1400. With counseling ordered by the court, add an additional 1-2000 dollars to that amount. Yes sir, it is a very costly matter, indeed.
    You are worried about a $350 fine when you should have been worried about killing or crippling the other drivers on the road. Driving drunk is like firing a gun into a crowd and hoping that you don't hit someone. You are very lucky that you didn't hit a tree and end up in a wheel chair. I hope that you learn from this serious error in judgement and take a cab the next time you are drunk. Good Luck.
    There is no way I can tell you how much your cost will be as it is unknown as to which court you are ordered to appear.However, a fine for a first time DUI is not less than $600 nor more than $2,100 along with cost of court. Cost of court varies depending on the court but would be expected to be between $350 to $500.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    Up to one year in jail, $1,0000, suspended driver's license for six months, alcohol counseling plus other possible conditions not to mention what it will cost you on car insurance.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    The answer may depend on the particular facts of your case. In most instances, an attorney will offer a FREE consultation and investigate the particular facts of your case to devise a theory of defense. The fees are often based on the complexity of the case and its defenses.
    It depends. What is the specific charge and how many priors to you have? It will also depend on what judge you have. It could range anywhere from a few hundred to over a thousand, especially if you potentially factor in the driver's responsibility fees which are $2,000. Often DUIs can be pleaded down to a lesser charge, especially for first offenders, which can save you as much as $1,000 or more in costs and fines. I would recommend consulting with an experienced DUI attorney for a case evaluation.
    The amount that you will pay in your case will vary by jurisdiction. Some Courts in Michigan, for a first time offense, impose fines and costs of $1,200, there is a screening fee of $80, and if you are given probation, there are probation fees. Also, Financial responsibility fees can be either $500 per y ear or $1000 per year for the first 2 years after your conviction. In addition, there are the attorney fees However, these costs vary from Court to Court, so there is no exact amount which can be provided. You will need to hire an attorney who can explain the expectes fines and costs which apply to the Court you are in. Also, there are some Courts which routinely impose 60 to 90 days for a first offense, so you should not presume that there is no jail time for a first offender. This information you can get from your attorney.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Your total fines will be around $2000.
    Harrison & Harrison
    Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
    It's too late to start worrying about the cost. The minimum amount for a first DUI fine in Georgia is $350; the maximum is $1,000. There will also be costs and fees added to the fine; assume about $200 - $350 more. You will have to attend and pay for a Risk Reduction Course; total cost for the course - $292. Most courts will order that you undergo an alcohol/drug evaluation and pay for whatever treatment is recommended. That will cost about $100. You will probably be on probation until all the conditions of probation are met. Figure on a supervision fee of about $40 - $45 per month. In short, the in court cost will be roughly between $1,000 and $2,500.
    Justin Jones Attorney at Law, PLLC
    Justin Jones Attorney at Law, PLLC | Justin Blaine Jones
    If this is your first DUI offense, then the maximum fine could be as much as $1,000. In addition, you could also be required to pay court cost, which would probably be around $200.
    West law Office
    West law Office | Russell West
    Generally a DUI carries a $5000 fine but has about an $850 minimum fine depending on your state. The remainder will be suspended. If you are able to get a reduced charge down to say a 1st degree neg driving then the minimum fine goes down to about $500. In addition to this is the DUI recovery fee which can be about $130 for the officers time and testing. Probation charges a fee per month you are on probation. A judge will generally put you on a minimum monthly payment of $25 until all the costs are paid for. An attorney will cost additional as well. Your license will probably be suspended and to get back your license you will need to pay a fee. You will need to proof of SR22 auto insurance which will cost a higher premium.
    It depends on what county you are in. Generally speaking, the fine for a DUI can be anywhere between $390-$1,000 for a first offense, + penalty assessments. Penalty assessments are the court fees, etc. that get tacked onto the fine, which can increase the fine from almost 5 times of the actual fine amount. Also, you would have to pay additional fees for alcohol school, and other potential costs for community service, etc. I can be reached through 1duilawyer.com if you have further questions. I do recommend talking to an attorney about your case. I have been successful in mitigating consequences, getting charges reduced and dismissed. An attorney may be able to save you money and hardship in the long run. A lot of attorneys including myself will give a free initial consultation to discuss your case in further detail so you can then decide if you want to hire or not. Whatever you decide, best of luck with your case.
    The fines are close to $2000 in most jurisdictions, and that's not including the costs of alcohol school, IID installation, increase in insurance premium...etc.
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Between fines, costs of the alcohol program, and costs of sentencing alternatives, or interlock devices, the cost is quite high. It can easily be over $2000.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    More details are needed. Feel free to call me so I can help answer any and all questions you may have.
    Mercado & Hartung
    Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
    The fine will depend on many factors including your BAC level, prior history, what court you are in, and whether you are put on active or inactive probation. You will also need to pay for an alcohol evaluation, alcohol class and DUI victim's impact panel, and ignition interlock device, SR-22 insurance if applicable, and license reinstatement fees. An attorney may be able to curb some of those costs for you and actually make their attorneys fee worth it.
    It is difficult to gauge all the costs. For instance, you did not mention whether or not you have any prior convictions. Also, you should consider the impact on your insurance. The best advice: Hire a good criminal attorney! Good luck!
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
    The fines and costs (as well as attorney fees) will vary greatly between jurisdictions. As a guess, I'd say it could range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Depends on where your at. But you really dont have a choice on whether or not you pay for the costs. If you are convicted, you will have a mandatory fine amount, which may vary. On top of the court fines, you would also be looking at having to pay for alcohol classes, increased/additional insurance premiums, etc if convicted. If you sincerely want to do everything you can to avoid paying fines, hire a lawyer. They will investigate your case and make sure your rights were observed throughout the arrest/questioning.
    In Michigan for a first time offender you will pay $800 to $1000 in fines and costs on average and you usually can't get out of that. With an attorney you often can get time to pay it. Also you will have increased insurance premiums and a State drivers responsibility fee of about $500 per year for the next two years.
    Even without an attorney fee, you are looking at $1500-$3000 in total fines, costs, probation, etc.
    San Diego DUI Law Center
    San Diego DUI Law Center | Rick Mueller
    Overall, more than $10,000. Fines range. Depends on the outcome. Perhaps a quarter of the above if first offense conviction. Too soon to tell. As you may suspect, it is impossible, unreasonable and unrealistic to honestly predict an outcome unless and until a number of fundamental things occur: a) we review and analyze all of the State's evidence including but not limited to the arrest report, the BAC test record (not just the result; the result may be high but the record may be legally inadmissible), any PAS test results, and all other documents; b) I conclude my investigation including responding to the evidence once we receive copies; and c) I meet with the prosecutor to request dropping charges. Anyone who can predict an outcome before that is not being forthright with you, as you can imagine. The State also precludes one to predict an outcome, as it is legally unethical to do so. Things can change once you are inside a hearing or in a courtroom. I have had losers but then once I get in them, I make things happen - e.g. by eliciting testimony through vigorous cross-examination designed to show a Title 17 violation, a failure to follow police procedure, etc. Obviously, our objectives are: a) obtain a set aside order of a suspension action (vs. worst case scenario: lose license for 4 - 12 or 24 months) and/or a back-up option may be a restricted license after a 30 day suspension (if no prior DUI or APS suspension). b) win the court case/get the charges dismissed (vs. get convicted and receive severe penalties). In b) there are many in betweens and many different possible results and outcomes. The maximum sentence under the law is 6 - 12 months jail. Obviously, jail is not realistic nor likely for a first time offender; in fact, any jail for a first offender is utterly unacceptable and I would fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court (before whom I am licensed) to avoid same. I am not Las Vegas. I do not predict nor do I set probabilities. I am a fighting realist. All you do when you hire a DUI Specialist is to retain someone who will: a) Be prepared at all times; b) Look under every stone; c) Try to keep you driving and out of jail; and d) Protect your legal rights. Beyond that, any attorney who tells you what their strategy is at this moment should not be believed. I can make no guarantees and cannot tell you what our best strategy or tactic is at this early stage. Our best strategy - and hence, our likelihood of prevailing - is a direct function of the evidence, our investigation and evidence and what can be done at the actual hearings (which is, in turn, a function of which prosecutor is assigned your case, which judge hears the case, etc.) This is based on my honest opinion and reasonable experience of over 28 years. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.Sherlock Holmes I hope this helps with your decision. I know it is difficult but one must first hire a very good attorney to do the hard work before experiencing the fruits of that vigorous representation.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    A first time DUI will come to around $2,000 in court fines and fees. There are additional costs for the required alcohol school, MADD panel meeting (if ordered) or other programs required by the court.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    The fines for Colorado are listed in the statute. Without knowing more facts such as whether this is your first DUI, and other factors, I cannot even give you a ballpark estimation. An experienced DUI attorney can tell you what the fines, court costs, and surcharges would be, provided that attorney has all of the facts.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    A good lawyer will cost 20-30 thousand dollars to take your case through trial and give you your best day in court.
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    This depends on what state you are in, the severity of the charge, and what fines are assessed. You can figure at least 1,000 for most places for fines,surcharges, costs and other fees, and up to several thousand dollars is possible.
    Karmali Law Office, PLLC
    Karmali Law Office, PLLC | Hussein Karmali
    If you plead guilty to a first offense DUI, budget $2000 total for fines and court costs.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney