How much will it cost to get a shoplifing charge expunged? 52 Answers as of July 03, 2013

I have a shoplifting charge from when I was 19. It's been paid off, but remains on my record, preventing me from getting work. How much will it cost to get expunged?

You should first find out if you had gotten Youthful offender treatment which means that the conviction would be vacated and the records sealed. If you did not get youthful Offender treatment than you should hire an attoreny. Fees are set by individual attorneys.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
My first advice would be to obtain an attorney to assist you with this matter. You may be eligible to expunge that prior conviction. Expunging a crime in Michigan is complicated. This response does not contain specific legal advice. If you need specific legal advice for your own circumstances, I recommend consulting with an attorney experienced with these types of matters. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. Speaking in general terms, there are several significant obstacles to getting offenses expunged in Michigan. Expunging a criminal charge is great way of clearing up past mistakes. However, there are a series of obstacles. First, an applicant must only have one, single, count or charge, whether it's a misdemeanor or felony. If a person has more than one conviction on their record, whether it was multiple counts from the original case, or separate convictions, they are not eligible. Second, certain offenses cannot be expunged. Traffic offenses for example, even something as simple as driving on a suspended license, a lot of high level or capital felonies, and other offenses as listed in the applicable statutes, cannot be expunged. It depends on which offense is currently on the person's record. Additionally, even if a person only had one offense, if they had issues with probation, i.e., probation violations or other infractions while serving their sentence, that may be obstacle as well. There is also a time limitation. Any effort to expunge an offense cannot commence until five years after the date of conviction. Lastly, expunging an offense from a criminal record takes time, requires a lot of paperwork, carries some notable costs, and eventually, applicants need to appear before a judge and convince the judge that they are worthy of having the offense expunged in order to complete the process. Please consult with and retain a criminal defense attorney, preferably an experienced one who has handled these matters, to assist you with the process. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation.
It depends on the County you were convicted in, but the filing fee is generally around $120 plus attorneys fees should you hire one. I do not charge that much to handle first offense petty theft expungements.
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
Do you know if you are eligible? Most cases cost between $500-$600 with an attorney. You can obtain a free eligibility evaluation and more information at www.ExpungeRecordFlorida.com
$2500 in fees and $300 for filing with the court.
    Unfortunately, even a misdemeanor conviction such as shoplifting is not expungeable in the Commonwealth unless you can prove that you were wrongfully convicted and as a consequence have received a pardon from the governor. (See Va. Code Sec. 19.2-392.2 et seq.)
    Talk to the Clerk of court in the county where the case arose, they can provide you with information of costs, and instructions on how to proceed with the filing of the petition.
    You cannot expunge a conviction in New York. Sorry.
    I have no idea. It depends upon how much an attorney is going to charge, the facts of your case, and whether those facts warrant expungement. Generally, if a matter can be expunged, it requires a 5 years period from the time your case is over (from the time you have completed all obligations) and that during that time you have had no other criminal incidents. The only way to know if to retain the services of an attorney.
    The fees will vary depending upon what court you received the conviction in. The court will charge a filing fee to file the expungement and that charge may be different for different courts. Also your attorney fees may differ from each attorney. You should call ad check several sources to get an average total cost.
    For fee quotes you need to contact the attorney by phone or in person with all the facts of the incident.
    Rose & Rose | Terry Rose
    Is your shop lifting charge a misdemeanor? How old were you at the time of the offense?
    You cannot get a criminal charged expunged in Nebraska. You may be able to receive a set aside or you have to seek a pardon from the governor.
    Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law
    Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law | Glenn M. Sowa
    Costs vary according to each county. There are different filing costs and procedures in each county in Illinois. It is best to contact an attorney with experience in the field and the county to discuss this.
    First, to move for an expungement, 5 years must have past from the date of conviction. Most lawyers charge an hourly fee for this type of work. It would seem that the total charge would be $5,000 or less depending the lawyer's hourly rate.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    I usually handle these for between $350 and $400
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    Alabama does not have an expungement statute.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    It is a $120 filing fee.
    It depends on what county you have to file in (attorney travel time). Is that your only criminal conviction? If you have others, you cannot get your record expunged.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Our office can represent you in an application for relief from disability which is the closest thing to an expungment you can get in NY State. We charge a flat fee of $3,500.00. If you want the conviction totally erased from your record then we have to make an application under CPL 440 to re-open the case and dismiss. There is a lesser chance of success under CPL 440 and I would have to charge by the hour at $400.00 an hour and I would need an initial retainer of $8,000.00.
    Martin Law Offices, PLLC
    Martin Law Offices, PLLC | Matthew T. Martin
    An expungement is not purchased but rather granted or denied by the Judiciary. You may file a petition with the court seeking an expungement. The relative cost depend upon what county the conviction occurred within (i.e., filing fees) and whether you will be representing yourself or hiring an attorney. I suggest you start by looking www.mncourts.gov under "Court Forms" and "Criminal Expungement" for more information or contact an attorney. I hope this helps.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Hello- Such a charge can only be expunged if it resulted in a "deferred" disposition. Usually an attorney will perform this service for 750to 1000, and there is a case filing fee of abut 225.
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
    At our firm, we charge a retainer of $1000, depending on the venue.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    Different lawyers charge different amounts. What you really want to do is get the conviction vacated and then the arrest expunged. If this as simple as it appears, I would probably charge $1,000 if this was a western Washington case.
    There is no expungement law in the State of Alabama. There has in the past been an expungement bill pending before the Alabama legislature but it yet to pass.
    Each county has a different procedure and it can be done with or without an attorney. Sometimes you are entitled to an expungement; sometimes it is discretionary with the judge. DUI expungements are discretionary and an attorney could help. He or she would likely seek the route of a formal motion before the court which also could be done much sooner than the administrative way. Costs vary with attorney to attorney. In such things where the lawyer makes a difference you get what you pay for
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    If you were convicted of the charge, you do not qualify for expungement.
    First, make sure you are eligible: you can only have one conviction of any kind on your record and it has to have been at least five years since the incident. How much it costs will depend. If you do it yourself, you are looking at out-of-pocket expenses in the range of $300-400 or so depending. If you hire an attorney, expect anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 or so.
    Shane Law Office
    Shane Law Office | Robert J. Shane
    I charge a flat fee of $2,500.00 on the expungement petition through hearing plus filing fee.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    There are approximately $135.00 in costs, including as $52.50 filing fee charged by the Court, and my fee of $1,000.00. You should give me a call.
    It depends on the attorney but I have seen various prices quoted but they average between $800 to $2500.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You cannot expunge a charge unless the case was dismissed or you were found not guilty. You can ask the trial court in which it was prosecuted to seal your record (nondisclosure) if you received and successfully completed deferred adjudication probation.
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
    It depends but probably not more than $1000.
    We charge around $1000.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    Legal fees can be as low as 500 depending upon the court you have to appear in. There is a filing fee in addition of 120.00.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc. | Mary Ann Bird
    You can apply for an expungement through the court and pay a filing fee and possible investigation fee. Otherwise, standard attorney fee for a misdemeanor expungement is 1000.00 plus costs.
    New York does not have an expungement statute. You will always have a criminal record and it may be a problem when you apply for benefits, a job, or an apartment. I get asked this question more than all other questions combined. I wish I could hepl people erase their convictions. If I had a nickle for every client that wanted to expunge their record I would be a millionaire.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    Attorneys have fee structures based on their expertise and eperience. I cannot tell you how much any other attorney might charge. You should interview a couple of attorneys to get a feel for the fees they would charge.
    Michael J. Gardiner, Attorney at Law | Michael Gardiner
    That would be $500.
    Mark C. Cogan Law Offices | Mark Cogan
    We help clients with Oregon expungements all the time. To qualify, you must have 3 years from the date of conviction, no other conviction in past 10 years, and no pending charge. Cost is usually $1000, including legal representation and fees. Contact us for further information.
    I charge by the hour to handle these. Around $1,000.
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    That would be $750.00.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    In Colorado only cases that have been completely dismissed (+ some drug cases) can be sealed. If you accepted a deferred sentence, successfully completed it, and the case was dismissed, then you can seal it.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    All rates are set by the attorney depending on location and the time necessary to complete the work. What an attorney would charge in Alpine County might be less than what one in Santa Clara County might charge. I would guess somewhere between $1 to 3 thousand dollars for a set fee.
    Yes, expungement will help in obtaining and keeping employment. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. The costs are about $126 fees to the court and about an hour of fees to the attorney.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    The filing fee for expungements in Minnesota is $320.00. That fee may be waived if a case was dismissed or depending on how it went through the court process, otherwise it would apply. If you have a financial hardship, you can apply for In Forma Pauperis, wherein your financial status would be reviewed by the court, and if it is deemed that you fall in the eligible ranges, the fee can be waived. As for attorney's fees, those have a wide range if you choose to retain one to represent you.
    Hugo Florido ESQ.
    Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
    Usually between 75-125 with the court and the FDLE. Attorney fees run between $500-1000.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney