How much will it cost to get a misdemeanor expunged off my record? 5 Answers as of November 12, 2012

I was charged with theft at self check out at a store. It is my first offense.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
If you have been convicted (not just charged) of theft, then it can not be expunged. If you were charged with theft (not yet convicted) and you have an upcoming court date, then you need to hire an attorney to represent you to keep this off your record. Depending on which court this is in, most likely your attorney can get it pleaded down to "Littering" and you will have to pay a fine but you probably won't have to go to court. Attorney's prices are within a wide range. Call a few criminal defense attorneys who handle shoplifting cases and get some price quotes.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 11/12/2012
Blough Law Office | Janis L. Blough
Much depends on the experience of the attorney you hire. It takes several hours to handle such an action (paperwork, filing, service, hearing and order preparation and filing). The severity of the offense is irrelevant so long as it is eligible for expungement, but you can't even file until five years after you completed your sentence.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/8/2012
Law Office of Charles J. Block
Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
First, you will have to wait 5-years to expunge a disorderly persons offense (misdemeanor) and I have no idea what the price will be in 5-years
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 11/6/2012
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
If you are using the services of an attorney, the cost of filing a Petition for Expungement is up to the attorney himself/herself. There is also a court filing fee involved. In Minnesota that fee is $320.00. Expungement is discretionary. This means that you, or you and your attorney, must convince the court to exercise that discretion in your case. You are not entitled to an expungement. Therefore, it is not possible to tell you how much it costs to accomplish the task. I can only try to tell you what it costs to try.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 11/6/2012
Click to View More Answers: