How much will it cost to file for divorce? 32 Answers as of June 09, 2011

How much will it cost to file for divorce?

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
In Washington State, the filing fee is $280.
Deal & Hooks, LLC
Deal & Hooks, LLC | Shawn P. Hooks
It depends on what court you are filing the divorce in. Typically the filing fees alter depending on whether there are children. Usually the filing fee will be anywhere from $200 to $500.
Less than $200 to the court. If you can do it by agreement, my office charges a $500 fee. There are others out there that charge less and more. Stay well.
Law Office of Cindy Lin
Law Office of Cindy Lin | Cindy Lin
In King County, WA, the fee for filing a petition for dissolution of marriage is $280. However, if you meet certain low income guidelines, you may be able to apply for a fee waiver. Check to see if you can get a waiver here: http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=87
A difficult number to estimate without more facts. You must pay the filing fee unless you get a fee waiver, process service and if you hire an attorney then paying his/her fee.
    Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC
    Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC | Daniel B. Rubanowitz
    The Court cost to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage in Los Angeles County is presently $395, as a filing fee payable to the Court. It is impossible to answer your question if you wanted to know all of the costs involved, including attorney fees and other costs. You would need to speak with an attorney to find out their rates and additional costs involved in the filing and pursuit of a divorce. Good luck.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    The cost of a divorce depends on how many disputed issues there are, and how hotly contested those issues are. The filing fee for a divorce is $408.00, and most attorneys bill somewhere between $200.00 and $400.00 per hour. My office offers free initial telephone consultations if you would like to discuss this matter in more detail, as well as explore the potential rights and options available. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office.
    The current filing fee for a divorce case in Los Angeles (and likely in most other counties) is $395, but it periodically goes up. When I started practicing Family Law in California, it was $21! What you probably mean by your question is: How much are attorney's fees in a divorce case? The answer to that depends on the complexity of the issues in your case, whether the parties will work together toward a fair resolution or whether there will be contested litigation, and the quality of attorney you hire to represent you. Experienced Family Law Attorneys charge for their legal services on an hourly basis. The best qualified Family Law Attorneys are Certified Family Law Specialists, inasmuch as the state bar board of specialization has certified them as experts. Their services are more costly, but they are more valuable than the services of non-specialists.
    It varies widely from personalized service to internet divorces where you must figure everything out yourself without help. There is no way to give you an exact amount since it also depends upon whether it is an uncontested divorce or contested, whether there are children, real estate, stocks, bonds, etc. and much, much more. The more there is, the more it costs because it gets very complicated and all has to be resolved. Good luck.
    In CT the filing fee is $325.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    Filing for divorce depends on a few factors, which county on are you in, as each county has their own set fees; is it contested or uncontested? children involved? Will there be a custody battle? I encourage to to contact the office with these answered to get an accurate answer to your question.
    Law Office of Karen A. Clark, L.L.C.
    Law Office of Karen A. Clark, L.L.C. | Karen A. Clark
    The best way to find out the filing fee for a dissolution is to contact the Superior Court Clerk for your county. That cost will be effected if you retain the services of an attorney.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    Cost depend on state your filing and the issues between you and your spouse.
    In Washington the filing fee is $270or $280, I can't remember which. Just Google the court clerk for where ever you are. In some circumstances you can get the fee waived. I don't know what the criteria is for waiving some or all of the fee.
    The cost related to attorney's fees often depends on the complexity of the case, the issues in dispute and whether or not the parties are able to resolve those issues by agreement. As a result, the fees vary broadly. With regard to filing fees, you can expect to pay a filing fee to file your case in the amount of approximately $400 in Minnesota.
    The standard filing fee in Colorado is $230; each local court may charge an additional fee for a parent education class when there are children involved. If you retain an attorney, there will usually be a retainer, advance deposit fee required based on how difficult or complicated or time consuming the case may be.
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    The cost of filing for divorce is simple. The entry fee into court is $300 and the marshal fee ranges from $40 to $60 as a range. Depending on the type of service the marshal has to do it could be more.
    Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C.
    Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Fredric Harlan Aaron
    Unfortunately, there is no set fee for a divorce. The only way to minimize the cost is for you and your spouse to work out all the details beforehand, and agree that the divorce will be filed as uncontested. In this way, you could approach an attorney and retain him/her to represent you jointly, agreeing with the attorney that if the divorce becomes contested, the attorney will remove him/herself from your cause. In this way, you could at least work out a fixed fee arrangement with the attorney for the divorce, minimizing the costs and expenses associated therewith. However, there is no guaranty that your spouse will go along with any of this, or that he/she will decide part way through the process to contest the proceedings.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    The filing fee for a divorce lawsuit is set by the local court. Filing fees of $300 to $500 are not unusual. Attorney fees can be another factor, and are also individual but by attorney. Please consult a local domestic relations practitioner to determine the potential cost.
    Doi/Luke, Attorneys at Law, LLLC
    Doi/Luke, Attorneys at Law, LLLC | Gavin K. Doi
    Each state/county has varying court fees to file for a divorce it's best to either look on your local court's website, or physically go to the court to look at the current fee schedule. In terms of attorneys' legal fees, this can vary widely, depending on the complexity of the case. Overall, an *uncontested* divorce will cost significantly less than a *contested*divorce, which expends much more time and money (and stress).
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    In Washington state, at least in my county, the filing fee is $280. I believe it is the same in any county in Washington.
    That depends on the state and county you live in, whether it is uncontested or contested, if you have children, what debts and assets you have and other issues. You could spend anything from a few hundred dollars to many thousands or more, depending on that missing information.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
    Depends on the jurisdiction. In my area, the court charges a $250 (or more) filing fee. The cost for attorney fees to do so can vary greatly, and will depend on how complex your case is.
    In Georgia, the filing fee went up last year to a whopping $205.00. There are other costs, too, which you should discuss with your own divorce lawyer. Good luck!
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
    Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
    The filing fee is $408.00. It is $40.00 for service of process and $10.00 to issue a summons. This does not include any attorney fees you may incur.
    If in California, the current filing fee is $395, at least for the Northern California courts where I practice law. You can look up the fee schedule on your local county court website. Do a Google search for your local county court's website.
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    The filing fee for a Joint Petition (uncontested) is currently $215.00, and the filing fee for a Complaint for Divorce (contested) is currently $220.00.
    Naomi Hirayasu Attorney at Law
    Naomi Hirayasu Attorney at Law | Naomi Hirayasu
    This will cost $225 with children. Please call me with further questions.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    It depends on a lot of things: the attorney's hourly rate, whether the divorce is contested or uncontested, what issues are involved, whether the attorney charges for travel time, etc. You need to consult with an attorney about the specifics of your case In order to get an idea of a ballpark cost.
    The filing fee is $395.00. Attorney's fees vary. If you are in my area, contact me for a free consultation.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney