How much will it cost me to get my misdemeanors expunged of my record? 5 Answers as of April 18, 2011

Will it cost me a lot to get my misdemeanors expunged? I have several for petty theft.

In the State of Alabama there is no provision in the law to allow convictions (felony or misdemeanor) to be expunged. There is an expungement bill pending before the Alabama legislature but it has not passed.
Your question implies that you can actually set a price and receive a guarantee of an expunged record. Depending on your jurisdiction, you may be able to have a judge order the record expunged, but not down here in Mobile, anymore. We used to get it done, but those days are gone. You could apply for a pardon from the Board of Pardons and Parole, but their website explains a 2% rate of pardon. In other words, I doubt there is anyone who can answer your question with any certainty. You can consult with various lawyers in your county to see what their estimates are. Stay well.
Eversole Law, LLC
Eversole Law, LLC | Steven Eversole
Unfortunately, there is no relevant statute in Alabama. This mean it can be very difficult to clean up a past criminal record. However, you should contact an Alabama Criminal Attorney. There may be other options you can pursue to achieve the same result. For instance, a post conviction Rule 32 can overturn a conviction and get a new trial. The nature of evidence in many similar cases means that if the Rule 32 is granted and you receive a new trial, your charges could be dropped. And If the case is a misdemeanor in Municipal court, city Mayors have the ability to Pardon any past transgressions in city court. The Governor may also pardon any crime in Alabama. In short, contact an Alabama Criminal Lawyer to discuss further options. A good lawyer can often find ways to achieve the results you desire. Good Luck.
Law Office of James S. Robinson
Law Office of James S. Robinson | James S. Robinson
Alabama does that have such a statute but you have many others options that a lawyer could help you with.
Alabama does not expunge cases when plead or found guilty. You might check with a local attorney and see if they do anything different in your city or county court. Who is eligible for an expungement? Persons who can prove inaccurate or incomplete information contained in their criminal convictions. 41-9-645. Also, persons subject to investigation of child abuse not resulting in a conviction. 26-14-3. A person whose criminal conviction is reversed may have their DNA records expunged. 36-18-26. Persons who satisfactorily complete preprosecution or pretrial diversionary programs may ask the district attorney to petition for expungement. 45-8-82.40.