How much will it cost me to get my idea pantnted? 6 Answers as of December 02, 2010

I have an Idea I would like to try to Patent. How much will it cost me to get a Patent on my Idea?

Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
From beginning to end, patenting your idea will cost between $6,000 and $10,000 from smaller firms and $12,000 to $20,000 from larger firms.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
I charge generally about $5500 including the filing fee and professional drawings. Others charge from $5000 up to $10,000
Fish & Associates, PC
Fish & Associates, PC | Robert D. Fish
Searching, brainstorming, drafting and filing a strong utility patent application runs about $7,000 to $10,000, depending on the technology. Software and pharmaceutical patent applications are among the most expensive. One would think that simple inventions are easiest to patent, but they are often the most difficult to patent because of the extensive prior art. one files accelerated examination, the charges to get the application on file are usually $22,000 - $25,000, but the patent may well issue within a year (or even six months), rather than 3-6 years as with a non-accelerated application.

After filing it usually requires another $3,000 - $7,000 or more to prosecute the application, i.e., argue with the patent office and get the application allowed. Accelerated patent applications are usually at the low end of those numbers because the claims are already crafted very carefully to circumvent prior art discovered during a very extensive patentability search.

Some firms charge only $2,500 - $3,500 to file a utility application. Such inexpensive applications are just a waste of resources. Any patent procured from such an application will almost certainly be worthless because it will be easy to circumvent. One can file a decent provisional for $3,500, or even much less depending on the extensiveness of the inventor's disclosure. But that just puts off the cost of filing the utility application by a year. At the other end of the extreme some firms charge $25,000 or more just to file a patent application, and that much again for prosecution. Except in the most extreme circumstances those charges are just a rip-off.

All the charges mentioned are for the U.S. only. Foreign patenting is much, much more expensive.
Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC
Malhotra Law Firm, PLLC | Deepak Malhotra
It depends on the complexity and the number of rejections received by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In a negotiation session, where the applicant tries to get broad coverage for a wide range of alternatives, and the Office tries to limit the applicant to one specific design, the Office routinely rejects everything and the applicant has to file amendments and responses in multiple rejection/response cycles until claims of a reasonable scope are allowed.

The average legal fee for preparing a patent application on an invention of minimal complexity was $7879 in 2009. For relatively complex mechanical, the average fee was $9699. For electrical or software, $13,277. These are just averages. There is also a government filing fee of about $600.

The average fee for each amendment/argument was $2322 for minimal complexity (rare) and $3135 for a difficult rejection for a mechanical case, $5021 for an electrical case. You should plan on about three of these rejection/response cycles, though it could take more. To reply a third time, a Request for Continued Examination and another government fee of about $600 is required. In some cases, if an examiner is being particularly difficult, an appeal may be advisable, and an average cost for a written appeal brief was $5547.

These are averages for the U.S. My fees tend to be a little lower than the averages even though I have 20 years of patent preparation and prosecution experience.

If you would like a more precise quote, I would require a written disclosure and I can send a form for you to use.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Unless I hear from you, I will assume that you are not proceeding. No attorney-client relationship exists until a representation agreement is signed and an advance fee is paid.
Ochoa and Associates
Ochoa and Associates | Susan Ochoa Spiering
Depends on attorney used , how complex your invention is, whether you need a search conducted and reviewed, how many, if any drawings you need. Also depends on how long or how many pages your application is. Realistically probably about $3K (for very simple invention and fairly new atty) to upwards of $10-20K, plus expenses for drawings (about $100/page) and filing fees at the USPTO. Then after you file, the application will be examined, and you will receive a letter or office action from the PTO and need to respond. Your attorney will respond to this and will most likely be an additional charge.
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
    We would be happy to file and prosecute a patent application for you. The cost for a patent search is $750. The cost for a non-provisional utility patent application starts from $2,500 and increases depending on the complexity of the invention. The cost for a provisional utility patent application is $1,000. The cost for a design patent is $2,500 and increases depending on the complexity of the features of the design. Please do not hesitate to contact us or come in for a 1/2 hr free consultation regarding your idea.