How much will getting a divorce cost me? 29 Answers as of July 08, 2013

What do I do when I need an attorney but I am a stay at home mom with no money? I need legal representation to make sure I get custody of my child. How do I find an affordable attorney? What do I do when he makes and took all of the money?

Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C.
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Fredric Harlan Aaron
There is no set rate for a divorce, but most attorneys will offer a fixed rate for an uncontested divorce. It is unclear from your question if your spouse will be contesting the divorce. If the divorce is contested, the fees can accumulate. You should check on the hourly rates for any prospective attorney, and find out if they are willing to offer payment terms.
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
You are in a difficult situation. There are very few attorneys willing to take on pro bono work and legal aide probably won't take your case these days. You may be able to find an attorney who would take a smaller retainer and hope that a court orders the husband to pay or contribute to attorney fees. Make a lot of phone calls. Just be careful, you want to make sure that the attorney is good, not just low cost.
One option is to borrow what you can, get a lawyer to file a Motion seeking interim attorneys fees or a Motion to Equalize Attorneys fees. Think of it this way, the income is community money and he is using community money to pay his lawyer, the argument is you should have access to community money to pay yours.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
Contact your local bar association to get the name of any divorce attorneys who do pro bono work. If this is not available contact Legal Services of Alabama to see if they are able to assist.
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You can file a motion for temporary orders and ask the Court for attorneys' fees based on your need and his ability to pay.
    Ask your family members for help. A loan would get you started for about $2000.00 Are there any assets to be sold that could raise money?
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    There are several nonprofits to help find an attorney and also several clinics to seek advice.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Many women are in the same boat. Often the court will order support of the wife and children on a temporary basis, which may also include legal fees if he has been the long term sole support of the family. Please see your local legal aid office or a domestic relations attorney near you.
    The cost of a divorce depends on the issues in dispute and the willingness of the parties no negotiate those issues in good faith. Fees vary depending on the particular facts.
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
    You may immediately go in to court and request that he pay your attorney fees. Since your spouse works and you are at home, the court will give you orders for support and payment of at least a portion of your attorney fees. There is no way to predict how much a divorce will cost you as there are many factors involved in a divorce.
    Bagwell Holt Smith Jones & Crowson, P.A.
    Bagwell Holt Smith Jones & Crowson, P.A. | John G. Miskey IV
    Our firm provides legal representation by the case, not by the hour. Your attorney should also request that your spouse pays all or part of your attorney's fees.
    you have the right to take money from joint accounts for attorneys fees; you can also use a credit card to pay for fees and you can request that he reimburse you if you have to do that.
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    There are several things you can do. Try contacting your local county bar association to see if they have any programs that might provide some assistance. Second, you could look for an attorney who provides pro se assistance - in other words an attorney who can help you represent yourself, such as by helping you draft the documents you need and providing general advice. That way you can determine how much help you can afford, assuming you can afford something. Third, contact various attorneys to see if you can find someone willing to take the case on to try and get the court to order some money paid over by your husband to cover your legal expenses. Most attorneys charge in the $200-$400 per hour range, but it is hard to estimate how much a specific divorce might cost without a good deal more information.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    You should contact an attorney and file a motion for temporary support and for an award of attorney fees.
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    You need to look for an attorney who will: (1) represent you for a reduced fee, and (2) motion for your husband to reimburse/pay your legal fees. Best of luck.
    You can file a motion for support and for him to pay for your attorney. Rates for attorney's vary. You should speak with several to find an attorney that you are compatable with.
    I have handled many cases like this. I would ask the Judge to force him to make payment to you so that you and your child can pay for the things you need. And I would ask the Judge to force him to make payment toward your attorney's fees. I can help you with this. And I will tell you up front what it will cost to do this for you. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Have your attorney move for temporary orders and get money from your husband
    It is not possible to estimate the cost of a divorce proceeding without having a crystal ball to predict how the case will proceed and how much conflict there might be. Until an attorney has all the relevant financial information and family history that is relevant to the child and some idea of how much serious conflict there will be, he cannot begin to estimate the ultimate cost. Many attorneys will take your case on a pro bono (i.e. free) basis or at a reduced fee. Depending on the facts, it may also be possible to eventually have the court compel your husband to pay your attorney fees, if he has the resources to do so, and if that appears reasonably possible the attorney may be willing to begin handling your case without an up front retainer deposit. You just need to start calling attorneys to find one that is willing to meet with you and discuss the possibilities.
    The situation you described is a financially challenging one. You need an attorney but your husband has control over the money. The best solution is to go to family and friends and borrow the money you will need to hire a qualified family law attorney. Once retained, the attorney can not only file a divorce action but a motion for child support, spousal support and request that your husband reimburse all or part of the attorney fees you borrowed to get proper legal representation. With the serious California budget cutbacks in court staff and available family law departments, you will need an attorney experienced in moving your case as quickly as possible through the legal process so you can get the support and fees you deserve.
    ROWE LAW FIRM
    ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
    With attorneys, like most things, you get what you pay for. A divorce will cost more or less depending on the amount of acrimony (fighting) between the parties and what they have to fight over. Fights over custody are some of the most expensive litigation that an individual may undertake, because the result is more important than money to most people. In Louisiana, even a stay at home mom "with no money" can get assistance if her husband had a good job and there are community (marital) assets. A court can order a partial distribution from community accounts to help the spouse who has not had control of the finances. Interim or temporary spousal support can be awarded to help a spouse with living expenses during the time the divorce is pending. Divorce expenses are community obligations, and your husband can be made to pay one-half of those fees in the community property settlement (although you may also owe one-half of his fees.) If you can get help with a fee retainer from relatives, a credit card or other resources, you should be able to find a capable attorney to help you. If you are truly indigent, and there are no community or marital assets, you can contact your local Legal Services Corporation grantee. The Legal Services Corporation is a national non-profit, chartered by Congress, to help the poor and elderly obtain legal help when they need it. Each local legal services office has their own criteria and set of priorities for helping the poor.
    Each attorney sets his own fees and payment plans. The fees also would vary by the complexity of the case. Call around a bit.
    > We recommend that you talk with family and friends about finding and hiring a divorce lawyer. Good luck.
    Willick Law Group
    Willick Law Group | Marshal S. Willick
    There is a "chicken-and-egg" aspect - you may have to borrow money to retain counsel to get into court to ask for money from the other party.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    The best suggestion I can offer is to find a legal aid or some type of pro bono organization in your county.
    Go to Google and look up Family Code sections 2030 and 2032. You may be able to obtain a court order that husband pay for your attorney fees. Best to call a local family law lawyer for help. Good luck!
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    The cost of a divorce varies a great deal. There generally is no good way to pick a particular number. One think you might consider is contacting the Washington State Bar Association. They have a program called the moderate means program that help people with limited financial ability get with attorneys.