How much time will a person get for 1 pound of meth if they are caught? 5 Answers as of July 11, 2013

How much time will a person get for 1 pound of meth if they are caught?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
Given just those facts, a person could be charged with a felony violation of Health and Safety code 11378. Such a charge carries a possible sentence of 16 to 36 months in prison. However, while the maximum sentence would be three years, it could be possible, depending on other factors, to have the sentence suspended.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/7/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. Youll learn the actual charge[s] filed against you when you appear for arraignment at your first court hearing. The prosecutor can amend at any time he feels he can prove additional or different charges. When charged with a felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted; on a misdemeanor, you potentially face up to 6-12 months in jail. Multiple counts and charges multiply your problems. If you have priors and strikes, they are penalty enhancements under the 3 Strikes rules. If this constitutes a probation or parole violation, factor those new and old charge[s] in as well. Of course you can fight it. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict and jail you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. I'll be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/7/2011
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
A pound of methamphetamine is enough to establish Possession with Intent to Sell which is a serious offense in the State of California. The District Attorney will likely charge it as a felony and require jail time. Also, you may be required to register as a drug offender for ten years. This means, that you must register with the local police department every time you change your address. This is a public list and people are likely to find out your history. Sales of methamphetamine will not be resolved by taking a drug class and staying clean like a simple possession would.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/6/2011
The Law Office of Rosanne Faul
The Law Office of Rosanne Faul | Rosanne Faul
There's not a definite answer to your question.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/11/2013
Law Offices of McDonell & Kent
Law Offices of McDonell & Kent | Jeffrey Donald Kent
The amount of time someone would receive for 1 pound of meth varies a great deal. Does the individual have any prior criminal history? What was the individuals alleged role in the crime? For instance, were they just a mule (someone who transports drugs), or were they the person who brokered the sale? Its possible the person could get probation with 12 months or less in custody, but this could also be a low-term prison case, (16 mos. If for sale, or 2 years if transportation). I would be very surprised if it was more than that, unless the person has prior criminal history.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: