How much time out of the US breaks continuous residence? 1 Answers as of August 04, 2010

I want to visit relatives out of the country but do not want to break my continuous residence so I can still apply for citizenship. Will I be ok if I leave for 2-3 months? I have a 1999 green card.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is that you are ok, if you have not spent more than 6 months at a time, or a total of 2 1/2 years in the previous 5 years outside the U.S. There are also ways to demonstrate you have not relinquished your U.S. residency (proof of continuous residence, etc.). If you want to talk further, by all means call me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2010
Click to View More Answers: